Moving And Cake Orders?

Decorating By pipe-dreams Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 7:45pm by pipe-dreams

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 5

I am moving to another state in January. BUT, it may possibly be before then (my husband's company may shut down his dept in August). So my question is, should I stop taking cake orders for later in the year? I have a wedding cake request for September, which I obviously want to take. But what if I end up having to move before then? What would I do? Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

4 replies
aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 5

Would it be totally unreasonable for him to go ahead and you to stay and finish up orders?

We're in a kind of similar situation, though we may not move, but the plan is that I will stay until I complete the orders I have taken and he will go ahead and start this job (if he gets it)

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 5

I think it is only reasonable and responsible to the customers to not take orders for dates you are unsure of. Even if there are "ifs" involved.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 5

There's a chance I'll be moving out of state between now and the end of the year as well... I've stopped taking official orders (just doing stuff for family & friends right now) and actually cancelled a groom's cake order I have had on the books for about 5 months for November, because I don't want to risk leaving this bride in a bind, with my life being so up in the air right now.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for the help! I was thinking I shouldn't take the order, just in case. I mean, I know someone else here who does awesome work, but that doesn't mean she will be available for the cake if I move, ya know? I just hate when I don't do cakesicon_sad.gif I feel like a piece of me is missing, but I guess I'll stop taking orders.
I couldn't stay here while he went b/c we don't really know anyone here..and if he left in August that would be a long time apart (especially since our 3 year old would be here with me.)

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%