Moving And Cake Orders?

Decorating By pipe-dreams Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 7:45pm by pipe-dreams

pipe-dreams Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 5

I am moving to another state in January. BUT, it may possibly be before then (my husband's company may shut down his dept in August). So my question is, should I stop taking cake orders for later in the year? I have a wedding cake request for September, which I obviously want to take. But what if I end up having to move before then? What would I do? Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

4 replies
aligotmatt Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 5

Would it be totally unreasonable for him to go ahead and you to stay and finish up orders?

We're in a kind of similar situation, though we may not move, but the plan is that I will stay until I complete the orders I have taken and he will go ahead and start this job (if he gets it)

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 5

I think it is only reasonable and responsible to the customers to not take orders for dates you are unsure of. Even if there are "ifs" involved.

PinkZiab Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 5

There's a chance I'll be moving out of state between now and the end of the year as well... I've stopped taking official orders (just doing stuff for family & friends right now) and actually cancelled a groom's cake order I have had on the books for about 5 months for November, because I don't want to risk leaving this bride in a bind, with my life being so up in the air right now.

pipe-dreams Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for the help! I was thinking I shouldn't take the order, just in case. I mean, I know someone else here who does awesome work, but that doesn't mean she will be available for the cake if I move, ya know? I just hate when I don't do cakesicon_sad.gif I feel like a piece of me is missing, but I guess I'll stop taking orders.
I couldn't stay here while he went b/c we don't really know anyone here..and if he left in August that would be a long time apart (especially since our 3 year old would be here with me.)

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%