Question About Hi-Def Shortening

Decorating By not_a_desperate_housewife Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 6:48pm by CookieO

not_a_desperate_housewife Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all -- I read a couple of posts about buttercream recipes that use hi-def shortening, such as Sweetex (sp?). From what I gather, it's less greasy than Crisco, and it spreads smoother.

I am wondering if anyone knows what this stuff is made up of. I realize that, like Crisco, it can't be "good" for you -- I guess I just want to know if it's going to put me in an earlier grave than regular shortening. What's the difference between the two? Any insight on this would be appreciated! Thank you.

5 replies
leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 6

I believe you're asking about Hi-Ratio shortening.

It's formulated to hold an emulsion better, meaning that it holds more moisture (water probably) making it "creamier", lighter and very easy to work with.

I use Alpine. The ingredients are: partially hydrogenated vegetable oil ( soybean and palm) with mono and diglycerides. polysorbate 60.

Probably not any worse for you than anything else.

not_a_desperate_housewife Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 6

Good grief... I did mean hi-ratio. icon_wink.gif Thanks for the feedback!

varika Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_a_desperate_housewife

Hi all -- I read a couple of posts about buttercream recipes that use hi-def shortening, such as Sweetex (sp?). From what I gather, it's less greasy than Crisco, and it spreads smoother.

I am wondering if anyone knows what this stuff is made up of. I realize that, like Crisco, it can't be "good" for you -- I guess I just want to know if it's going to put me in an earlier grave than regular shortening. What's the difference between the two? Any insight on this would be appreciated! Thank you.

I've got some I can bring to class on Monday to show you, if you like--I made my class buttercream with it, and it really is smoother and nicer to work with. But so far as I know, it's not going to put you in the grave any earlier than...well, the cake it's going on! icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 6

I recently made the switch and can't go back! Definitely leaves less of a "greasy" texture in your mouth when you eat the icing.

CookieO Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 6

unless your going to be eating massive amts of it on a almost daily basis, it's risks are probably very low of actually being the factor that puts anyone in a early grave.

icon_razz.gif

JMO. but then I definitely opt for death by chocolate, so what do I know. lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%