Wilton Gumpaste Questions.

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 1:06am by Rylan

MrsNancyB1 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 7

If anyone has followed my posts, I had a disastrous time with my 50/50 gumpaste/fondant mix. I used Bakels gumpaste, and I will not buy it ever again. It was way too soft, and I tried kneading in cornstarch, and while that worked temporarily, as I started making my figures they were sagging like crazy. This morning when I went to check my figures, they looked like fat blobs and had barely even dried. icon_eek.gif

This morning, I picked up a pack of Wilton gumpaste and decided just to color the gumpaste and construct my bear figure out of 100% gumpaste. I have a few questions though:

1) When I was kneading the color into the gumpaste, I noticed that the gumpaste was becoming really elastic. When I pulled it apart it stretched really wide, instead of breaking off. Is this normal? Do I just need to let it rest?

2) Now that I've wasted time with yesterday's 50/50 mix, I need to construct my bear today and have it ready for Saturday. Do you think it will dry in time, since it's made from 100% gumpaste?

3) Any other tips I should know about using 100% gumpaste?

Thanks so much for any help!

6 replies
AngelFood4 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:24am
post #2 of 7

Here's a bump...I'm curious too. I started some figures last night with 100% Bakels Gum Paste for Sunday and I'm wondering the same thing.

On my package it says to "mix with Gum Tragacanth or CMC if faster dry time is required".

wakeandbake Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:34am
post #3 of 7

in my experience adding color to the gumpaste does make it more elastic but just while you are adding the color. it should be dry enough on the outside by saturday to stand up on its own but it probably won't be dry all the way through.

miny Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:41am
post #4 of 7

It depends on how thick your pieces are, when I worked with Wilton GP I had no problem coloring with gel food coloring and dried beautifully even when I used 50/50, don't really know what happened to your GP, sorry to hear that though!

Jaimelt76 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:55am
post #5 of 7

I only have wilton gumpaste available to me and I use it all the time. I just made figures for a cake this past Saturday. The figures were made on Thursday with 100% wilton gumpaste and they were dry enough to transport 3 hours on Sat. Two of them were standing figures with spaghetti noodles in the legs for support and had no problems and 3 were sitting..

Rylan Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:58am
post #6 of 7

1) When I was kneading the color into the gumpaste, I noticed that the gumpaste was becoming really elastic. When I pulled it apart it stretched really wide, instead of breaking off. Is this normal? Do I just need to let it rest?

-Adding gel colors will change the consistency of the gumpaste/fondant. Letting it rest helps. Try adding some tylose powder.

2) Now that I've wasted time with yesterday's 50/50 mix, I need to construct my bear today and have it ready for Saturday. Do you think it will dry in time, since it's made from 100% gumpaste?

-I always use a mixture of gumpaste and fondant figures. I usually have a soft figure but has developed a hard shell that helps keep its shape.

3) Any other tips I should know about using 100% gumpaste?

-I stick to a combination of fondant and gumpaste. I don't have any tips because I treat 100% gumpaste the same as the 50/50 -- just keep in mind that it dries a lot quicker... even while molding. When I mean 50/50 it's not exactly 50/50.

Rylan Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:06am
post #7 of 7

Btw, since most figures are not going to be eaten, I use a combination of Wilton fondant and Satin Ice gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%