Separator Plate Question. Stupid, I Know....

Decorating By Kel1222 Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 10:07pm by soygurl

Kel1222 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 6

I am new to doing tiers and have a wedding cake coming up that is a 14, a 10, then a 6". When buying the separator plates, am I to buy a 16" plate so that there is a little room on the sides of the cake (and I dont stick my fingers into the border), or do I buy a 14" because the room is already accounted for? icon_redface.gif

5 replies
bashini Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 6

Hi, I have never used seperator plates. But when I do tiered cakes, I buy a thick board to keep the bottom tier. And the board is always 3" more than the bottom tier.In your case since the bottom tier is 14", I would go for 17"/18" thick cake drum. For the other tiers that go on each tier, use a same size thin boards. icon_smile.gif

Kel1222 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 6

It is tiered though, not stacked. I've lots of those and always have the boards the same size. I have to use the plates on this one becuase of the pillars....

leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 6

I think we have a small language problem. You're doing a cake with separations. Tiered means that the cake has, well tiers, but doesn't speak to the design. For a cake with separations, then , yes you do need separator plates. If you're using SPS, you'll buy a 6" and a 10" SPS plate, one bag of the multi-piece legs, use only the 5" piece + the 2" extension, and a bottom board of some type. i use cake drums, but a lot of people use covered masonite.

momg9 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 6

If she buys a 6 & 10 in plate for a 6 & 10 in cake won't the frosting on the sides go further out over the plate?

soygurl Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by momg9

If she buys a 6 & 10 in plate for a 6 & 10 in cake won't the frosting on the sides go further out over the plate?

Yeah, she should get 7" and 11" plates for 6" and 10" cakes. That 1/2" on either side will allow just ehough room for the icing and a border.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%