Need Cake Dummy Advice

Decorating By divaessence Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 4:28pm by divaessence

divaessence Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 3

I am a novice cake decorator and I am entering a competition at the State Fair. It will be my first time using cake dummies and I have a few questions. 1)Should I coat them with shortening or plastic wrap to make icing removal easier? 2)If I use fondant, should I put royal icing underneath it? 3)I plan to stack the cake, so should I just hot glue the tiers? Or, do I still need to use dowels? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first time doing anything like this ... and will be only my 2nd tiered cake (I just started my Wilton Course 3, so I haven't even made one yet)! Thanks in advance, fellow CCers!

2 replies
bashini Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 3

Hi there, when I do dummy cakes, I use water to wet the surface and then cover it with fondant. when you want to take the fondant off, its wuite easy to do.

Now there are two tipes of dummies. One is straight edged dummies which are used for royal icing. Then the other one is curved edged dummies for fondant. You don't need to dowel. I use a little bit of royal icing under each tier.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

divaessence Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%