Help! My First Wedding Cake...

Decorating By jmlawren Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 6:50pm by __Jamie__

jmlawren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmlawren Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, my mother volunteered me to do a relative's wedding cake, for free of course... on August 15th. I have, of course, NEVER done a wedding cake before, as I'm just a hobbiest. The cake is for 120 ppl. What tier sizes should I use? I personally think the 6/8/10/12 looks a little smooshed.

Also the bride requested red velvet cake (which I haven't done either), and I would like to avoid cream cheese icing at all cost (Ohio outdoor reception) would buttercream be ok to fill and ice it with?

Any tips, pointers, anything, would be appreciated. I can't tell you how nervous I am.

7 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 8

I would visit earlenescakes.com. She has a great serving chart there, and it will help you pick the sizes you like.

You don't have to do cream cheese frosting. Do regular buttercream and maybe use a cream cheese sleeve filling. You can find them at cincinnaticakeandcandy.com. It runs around $6 per sleeve. I've used it a lot. Once I even mixed a little for flavor into buttercream. It does soften it up a great deal, but tastes pretty good. If the bride is going to be all snarky about what icing you use, then CHARGE HER. Tell her for free cakes you are in total control and she doesn't get to say word one about it. That's what Duff does, after all.

Use the SPS for stacking. Global Sugar Art sells them, as does Oasis supply. There's a sticky on how to use them in the forums.

Calm yourself, it will all be fine, grasshopper. icon_lol.gif

You do owe your mom a good slap for volunteering you to do a wedding cake for free. She seems awfully generous with YOUR time and money. Is anybody reimbursing you for your costs? Sorry....you didn't ask for that opinion. icon_redface.gif

Good luck to you, and please post pictures.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 8

Depending on the serving chart you use, the 12/10/8/6 will be slightly under 120 servings. The chart I have written down says 116 so very close and not all guests will eat cake. If you don't feel comfortable with 4 tiers, you can do 14/10/6 with 4" difference between the rounds. this will also be close to 120 coming in at 118 with my charts. Sounds like you were completely volunteered for this without being consulted so whatever you do, it should be greatly appreciated by your family members. You could also bake and decorate 3 tiers and then do an extra - iced only, not decorated- that could be cut in the event that more cake is needed. I did this for my brother's wedding. I made the bride's and groom's cake but the amount didn't total up to the 500 guests that were invited. We planned on serving 400 with cake. To make up the difference, I made extra of both and frosted but didn't decorate. They tasted and looked the same once cut as the displayed cakes. My brother and SIL couldn't knock me for it since it was free and they were still getting the 4 layers cake/3 fillings taste that all guests received.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 8

I just looked at your pictures. Your calla lillie cake is gorgeous! You will do just fine with this cake! thumbs_up.gif

I also recommend the SPS. I order sleeved filling from Country Kitchen Sweet Art too. They also have the cream cheese filling.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 8

If my mom volunteered me, I'd make her pay for everything icon_biggrin.gif

Anyhow, I just made my first wedding cake. It was a 14/10/7 (needed the extra inch because of the big topper) and it had really nice proportions. And yes, I was really nervous...for probably a month before I had to do the cake.

I wouldn't like to attempt frosting a wedding cake with cream cheese frosting, even if it weren't hot out...I know some people manage it but I've never managed to smooth cream cheese icing nicely. Maybe you could use cream cheese for the filling and then regular buttercream (I love Indydebi's recipe) for the outside. It holds up well to heat.

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 8

I just recently did a red velvet cake for a wedding that was having an outdoor reception...and yes the bride wanted cream cheese icing for both bride and grooms cake. I used the crusting cream cheese icing recipe off here and it worked perfectly. It uses alot more PS than a normal cream cheese icing and crust up really well. If you ever need cream cheese frosting for a outdoor event you may want to give it a try.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 8

For wedding cake, use the wedding cake serving chart on Wilton.com. You will have PLENTY of cake. If you use Earlene's charts you will just be providing more cake than they need which is bad enough if you're getting paid, but way worse if the cost is coming out of your pocket to start with. I'd do a 6/10/14. One less tier to stack. Looks proportional. I hate workign with cream cheese icing and wil refuse orders for it. Also, you got just enough time to purchase SPS. Order it now!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

For wedding cake, use the wedding cake serving chart on Wilton.com. You will have PLENTY of cake. If you use Earlene's charts you will just be providing more cake than they need which is bad enough if you're getting paid, but way worse if the cost is coming out of your pocket to start with. I'd do a 6/10/14. One less tier to stack. Looks proportional. I hate workign with cream cheese icing and wil refuse orders for it. Also, you got just enough time to purchase SPS. Order it now!

Ditto! Yikes...Earlene's chart on a free cake?? Whew! No way!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%