Transporting In The Heat? Help!

Decorating By CrystalBug Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 6:12pm by CrystalBug

CrystalBug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrystalBug Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a cake in a few weeks (for July 25th). The woman is picking up the cake (yay!) and transporting it herself ~2 hours away. It is two tiers with hawaiian 50/50 flowers all over. I am terrified that the heat and transportation will destroy the cake on her drive.

She is a repeat customer who has referred others and I really don't want her cake to be ruined on the drive!

She is flexible on fondant vs. buttercream. Would fondant do better on the drive? Should I just used a bunch of dowels through the entire cake to hold the cake steady? Any limitations/suggestions on fillings to withstand the heat and drive?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much.

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 5

Absolutely use SPS for support. And make sure she's driving a SUV or van with a flat area and air conditioning. No cake on the seat or in the trunk.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 5

My suggestion would be to make sure she places the cake in her vehicle FLAT.....Not on a seat, not on the floor where it's not flat. In my trunk, there is a square area that dips down in the middle. I always fill it in with a towel, to bring it up even with the sides, and at times will use hand towels around the base to even it, if need be.
Fondant holds up better in the heat, but for that or BC, her car needs to have AC.....And yes, dowel rod each tier that needs it, and put one all the way down the center.....HTH Brownie

Andy383240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andy383240 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 5

I have transported fondant covered cakes in large clear plastic storage containers. If heat is a real issue, you could put some cold packs around the outside of the cake container and put it in a larger one. Bungee cord or cargo net it to stop movement. Hope this helps. Best of luck.!

CrystalBug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrystalBug Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 5

I will cross my fingers and hope for the best! Thank you for your suggestions, I will definitely try it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%