First Disaster, Glad It Was Practice...need Help!

Decorating By kikster Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm by kikster

kikster Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 5

OK...so here is the deal. I tried 2 new things...indydebi's buttercream recipe (delicious) , and I did my first 12 inch bottom tier. I don't know what the deal was, but all the icing was just bulging out the side. I couldn't get it smoothed, so I finally scraped all the icing off, and started over...guess what...still bulging...just as bad as before. What gives? I know you pros know why this might have happened.

4 replies
indydebi Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 5

glad to hear you liked the taste! thumbs_up.gif

First, are your layers leveled well? This can cause bulging. Here's the best pictorial on trimming cakes properly to prevent it. http://www.cakeboss.com/PreventBulging.aspx

When you place your dam, place it slightly inside the edge of the cake. Then, when you place the top layer on, the pressure that pushes the dam slightly outward. If the dam is already on the very edge, it will bulge out.

kikster Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Debi! Yes it was truly delicious, and hubby said it was yummy as well, and was squeezing it out of my icing bag to eat, and he is not big on icing.

As far as the icing goes, I have never done a bottom layer this big, and on all my previous cakes, I piped the icing all the way to the edge. I am thinking with this one, the cake was a lot heavier, so it squeezes more out. Next time I am going to try and give it time to settle longer, and not to fill all the way to the edge as I have done with smaller cakes.

notjustcakes Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 5

If you had a filling, you have to be careful not to overfill, because even with an icing dam, to much filling will cause your cake to bulge...

kikster Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 5

It wasn't a filling, just BC all the way. I think it was just too much, and not enough time to settle. This morning I scraped it all off, and am going to lay fondant. I am just doing this cake for practice, and I don't want to give up on it...ha! I spent a long time working on it, and was extremely pouty when I went to bed last night icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%