If You Have A Cookie Business - May I Ask?

Baking By ZlatkaT Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 9:34pm by cylstrial

ZlatkaT Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 8

For those of you who is in a cookie business, may I ask how do you sell your cookies?? I found a kitchen for rent, and with all the expenses, I figure out the price for cookie needs to be a minimum $4.00. Now I am sitting on my idea to go to the business, and I am worry that I won;t be able to sell. I was planning to sell at Farmers markets, on holidays offer my cookies to stores, have website...etc.
I did some marketing around my area, and saw decorated cookies sold at bakeries for $1.50.
I will really appreciate your opinion, or if you could share with me how is your business going. I am worried that I won't be able to sell. I know there are people who would buy for this price, but I think I won't have that many orders. My idea is to sell to stores, but I am sure for this price I won't be able to sell at all.

7 replies
MichelleM77 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 8

I can't give you much advice, more things to consider.

Don't look at the grocery store. You aren't making grocery store cookies, so don't price them that way.

Do you have a Cookies By Design in your area? Is it an upscale area? If yes, then there is a market for your $4 cookies. If no, the market is probably there, you just have to work a bit harder to get the word out since people might not be too familar about your hand-decorated cookies.

Definitely set up an online presence and market nationwide.

Are you just paying for the time in the kitchen you are using and not a flat fee per day/week/month? If you are, then I think you will be okay. You are only paying rent to the kitchen when you have an order, so that fee should somehow be worked into your cookie price and it sounds like you already have that worked out.

Just a few things I thought of when I read your post. I'm no expert though. Best of luck to you! I would love to have a kitchen to rent. That's awesome!

ZlatkaT Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 8

The fee she gave me is $20 per hour, or rent a space for $650/month. I think I have a very good product to offer. My cookies are Czech style gingerbread, somewhat spiced cookies, not really typical gingerbread. But I have no idea where and how to sell it. If you are in similar situation, and don't want to PM me in stead post here. I will really appreciate it. I am very curious how just cookie business go. Thank you.

LesGateauxCheri Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:50am
post #4 of 8

Have you tried Cookie Bouquets too? That is probably 80% of my business and you can charge a lot more. So if your individual cookies are $4 each, maybe charge $40 for a 7 cookie bouquet - still cheaper than cookies by design and you will be maing more than individual cookies.
Good luck! I am just starting as well. icon_smile.gif

imamommy1205 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 8

I am making the at of my kitchen and have decided on $2 a cookie for most of them (some will be a little less some a little more). I do understand however having to make up for the expenses of renting a kitchen. Make you could discount them a little if they buy more than a dozen? Then maybe people will think its more worth it to get 2 dozen? I dunno. Good luck though!

I will add too that the cookies you are making arent the typical cookie people buy, so for a more gourmet cookie people might be wlling to pay more.

ZlatkaT Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you for your nice comments and ideas. Oh, I need to learn more about bouquets, so far I don't like my bouquet design. Is there any tutorial how to make it pretty? I know how to bake on stick, then wrap them in the cello bags, but I would like to learn more about arranging them around, how to use tissue paper around, and then the all bouquet wrap nicely. It just looks like a lot of plastic, and the cookies are not presented well. Any tutorial here??

cylstrial Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 8

I remember seeing a cookie bouquet tutorial on here somewhere. I'll go look and see if I can find it. If not, maybe someone else will know where it's located.

cylstrial Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 8

Ok, I wasn't able to find an actual tutorial. But when you go to the search field and type in cookie bouquet tutorial, you will see tons and tons of pictures. Sometimes, pictures help me. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%