Fondant Disaster - What Went Wrong???

Decorating By still_learning Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 9:33pm by still_learning

still_learning Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 4

Not even sure where to start. I had horrible fondant cracking last weekend. I don't know what went wrong. I had to tint it a pretty dark green and I tinted a ton at once because I was making a 3 tier topsy turvy cake. I wasn't sure if the gel color messed it up. I tried added powdered sugar and then shortening to try and help and nothing worked. I ended up with HORRIBLE folds and creases in the back of the cake because I had to work fast to stop the cracks on top from getting worse. Does over kneading make it worse? How else do you get the color even? How thick do you guys roll your fondant? My last fondant work went so smoothly. I used pettinice fondant. Any advice or suggestions on where to get more info would be super appreciated! Thanks!!!

3 replies
traceyjade Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 4

Not sure why it cracked, was it too dry? The easiest way to get a great even color is to make your own fondant because you add the color before the icing sugar. MMF is easy and cheap, as well as Michelle Fosters fondant which you can flavour as well. Hope this helps a bit thumbs_up.gif

traceyjade Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 4

Not sure why it cracked, was it too dry? The easiest way to get a great even color is to make your own fondant because you add the color before the icing sugar. MMF is easy and cheap, as well as Michelle Fosters fondant which you can flavour as well. Hope this helps a bit thumbs_up.gif

still_learning Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the reply! I will have to try MMF - everyone here seems to love it. I didn't think the fondant I used was too dry to start - I thought it was maybe too mushy because the fondant would crack and tear starting on the edges of the tiers. Almost like it couldn't stay together because of the weight of the rest of the fondant. I tested it before I tried putting it on the cake and it would just sag and tear even just in my hands. I tried adding powdered sugar because I thought the gel color was making it mushy but that only seemed to dry it out (if it did anything at all). I'm scared to do my next cake icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%