Is This Tacky?

Decorating By RetiredNavyChief Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 1:51pm by lardbutt

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:41am
post #1 of 16

Okay I have a wedding on Friday, My first wedding cake i may add. I am stacking my 14 inch round last night and it kinda broke apart. I put it back together, used it as my top layer. My question is, should i bake another one or is using icing to put it back together tacky and will it be noticeable when it is served. I in theory have time to bake another one. Ugh i am so tired, this is a hobby and i had to take a vacation day from work because the wedding is on a friday. What should i do?

15 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:56am
post #2 of 16

How BAD is the break ? I mean, when sliced into to serve, is it going to look like crap, or will it pass ? Are you SURE it won't break again while delivering or at the venue ?

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:15am
post #3 of 16

I would scrap it and make a new one. You don't want someone's wedding cake to come apart. Protect your reputation and grab some java and get baking. Good luck- I know it stinks but in the long run, you will have done the right thing!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:24am
post #4 of 16

I don't think it will fall apart since you are using supports for the next tier to sit on.

If you think it is salvageable, just glue it togther with your filling. No one would have ever known.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:32am
post #5 of 16

" just glue it togther with your filling. No one would have ever known."

What about the people that get the "glued" together slices ? How will it look on the plate ? It really depends on how bad the break is.....

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:49am
post #6 of 16

I wouldn't want the newlyweds (or you) to be embarrassed if the cake were to fall apart when it was cut. Also...how is it going to look if the cake was just "glued togather" when it is cut? I'd rebake it.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:06pm
post #7 of 16

There is a huge difference on "it broke apart" if it is obviously a mess, I would rebake, if it is broken into salvagable pieces - I would make some cake spackling and glue it back together and use it. It would not be noticed when the cakes are cut. That is what we do when we "carve" cakes - don't feel badly if that is what you do.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:12pm
post #8 of 16

One time, I was hired JUST to cut the wedding cake for this couple. They had purchased their cake from a local bakery and just wanted "a pro" to do the cutting. Easy gig, gotta tell ya!

Anyway .... I was VERY surprised to find that this round wedding cake was put together like a Tetrus puzzle from square cakes. The inside of the cake had 2-3 seams where the cakes were pushed together. When cut, the pieces looked fine. They looked like they had extra icing in the layer, but it looked fine.

When some CC'ers make large sheet cakes, they will bake two small cakes and shove them together with icing holding the two cakes together.

I don't see your cake as much different. This is, however, assuming you have a pretty clean break that can easily be pushed together. Assuming the cake has been leveled very well and will sit level. (I mean you don't want a cake that looks like FN Challenge Stevie's cake! icon_lol.gif )

RetiredNavyChief Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:04pm
post #9 of 16

Well i think i will be baking a new one tonight. It is just to damaged and like someone said i would hate for it to split at the reception. and i would like more orders from this cake and i want it to right. I have more pride than to roll out a not so good cake. thanks for all of the responses.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 16

Is it bc i've made a 2 layer and it slid like a landslide

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:02pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

" just glue it togther with your filling. No one would have ever known."

What about the people that get the "glued" together slices ? How will it look on the plate ? It really depends on how bad the break is.....

I've had experience with this and when I cut the cake, I didn't get any seams but I agree with you--it depends on how bad the break is.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:13pm
post #12 of 16

I know its more work, but better safe than sorry!!!!

melody

good luck!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:15pm
post #13 of 16

Sometimes if the cake is just half split it can be done, specially if you have 2 cakes, you can put the broken one in between the onw that is good. But If it's too broken it can be dangerous, specially being the base tier of the cake.. It can make the whole cake unstable..
Edna icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:43pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I mean you don't want a cake that looks like FN Challenge Stevie's cake! icon_lol.gif

OMG!!!! Are you reading my mind or WHAT! That is exactly what I was thinking when reading this icon_smile.gif

** interesting about the Tetris cake. I watched the new Amazing Wedding cakes and they were making a gynormous round out of sheetcakes...always wondered how that was going to look when it was cut.

RetiredNavyChief Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:32pm
post #15 of 16

Well I rebaked, it turned out great. I think alot of the problem was the heating core, that is the place where it fell apart. I used the rose nail last night and it worked so much better. Also like some one said it was the base 14" on top of 6 smaller ones, it scared me that it would be unstable. thanks for all of your advice and comments.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:51pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredNavyChief

Well I rebaked, it turned out great. I think alot of the problem was the heating core, that is the place where it fell apart. I used the rose nail last night and it worked so much better. Also like some one said it was the base 14" on top of 6 smaller ones, it scared me that it would be unstable. thanks for all of your advice and comments.

I feel my heating core was a total waste of money. I only used it one time and realized was a stupid invention it was!! The rose nail works much better. I can't wait to see the finished cake....post pics here too!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%