Urgent Advice Needed Please!!!

Decorating By aminaz Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 11:35am by aminaz

aminaz Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:40am
post #1 of 8

i've got a wedding cake coming up very soon and the lady wants flowers to placed in between cake layers like in the picture below. how do i do this? i've read somewhere that you use styrofoam blocks and stack them like you would with the cakes then insert the flowers with wires. is this true? my cakes will be 12, 10,8 and 6 inch round cakes. what size blocks would i need? please can someone help as i will need to buy them today. icon_cry.gif

7 replies
cashley Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:55am
post #2 of 8
cashley Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:56am
post #3 of 8
cashley Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:58am
post #4 of 8


aminaz Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:05am
post #5 of 8

thanks for your help, but i'm still confused. that tall tier stand is expensive too. is'nt there an alternative way?

handymama Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:12am
post #6 of 8

I would use 7" pillars: 4" in the cake below, 3" exposed. Set flowers around perimeter in open space. Be absolutely certain that flowers are "cake safe"--not sprayed or preserved. Even then I prefer to have plastic wrap with some icing on it between the cake and the flowers.

MaloSlatko Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:33am
post #7 of 8

Mitch Turner shows how to do this in her "Spectacular Cakes" book. She recommends the styrofoam blocks between tiers with the flowers then inserted into the blocks.

For sizing, she specifies the blocks to be 5cm high and 10cm smaller than the cake they are to sit on. The dowels are then cut to the height of the cake tier + block and placed against the edges of the block to keep it in place.

I hope that helps.

aminaz Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:35am
post #8 of 8

finally i got the reply i want. that was very useful. i actually got her book but did'nt understand the sizes. you clarified it for me better. thank you icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%