Do You Always Torte?

Decorating By brea1026 Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 6:26am by miny

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 5:55am
post #1 of 6

I just finished baking the cakes for a wedding thursday, and I (being lazy) was wondering if you all torte you wedding cakes? I baked and leveled each tier to have your basic two 2" tall cakes (total of 4" per tier).

So, I was wondering if you all torte again, so that instead of just 1 layer of filling/frosting there will be 3. Is it just to preference?

The reason I am asking this is because I am going to drop off the cake to the family thursday afternoon and they are going to drive it 2 more hours to the place where the wedding will be held. We have had many discussion about the dangers of traveling with the cake, but they really wanted me to make it so I agreed. I am using the sps system, and it is just 3 smaller tiers (6,9,12) but I was wondering if I leave it with just the 1 layer of filling/frosting if it will help make it even more stable.

Sorry to ramble. Any advice would be so appreciated! Thanks! Breanna

5 replies
LillyLou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyLou Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:06am
post #2 of 6

I don't torte. It adds time and weight as you mentioned. I also figured that if I don't torte that it may make it more stable. I'm afraid that cutting all those layers may also make it more likely to go 'wonky' if you don't get the layers back the right way.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:16am
post #3 of 6

I torte everything but sheet cakes. Depending on the filling, each tier will either have 4 or 6 layers of cake(splitting each layer either 1 or 2 times) and 3 or 5 layers of filling.

It is my preference. I've never been asked about the layers or the inside dynamics of my cakes. One bakery in the area, uses just the 2 layers, no torting and another bakery(the oldest...like 100 years or so old) has never ever torted...NEVER....and they use ONE layer...ONE TALL APPROXIMATELY 4" LAYER...no filling, just icing on the outside.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:17am
post #4 of 6

I like a lot of filling in my cake, so I torte so it WILL be more stable... Three thin layers instead of one thick layer seems like it would be more stable to ME, but hey, I only have one wedding cake and two tiered cakes to my name... icon_biggrin.gif If it wasn't too thick of a layer, I don't think it'd matter much.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:24am
post #5 of 6

I torte depending on what type of cake I use. Sometimes, cakes will taste too rich with too much frosting.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 6:26am
post #6 of 6

I always torte, no matter what kind of cake, even birthday cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%