Dense Cakes

Decorating By bina1 Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 3:47am by dandelion56602

bina1 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:26am
post #1 of 15

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to keep cakes moist? I have used simple syrup and it works, but I was just wondering if anyone can suggest something else.

Thanks

14 replies
madgeowens Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 15

Yes search in here for the cake extender recipe, it works great.

dandelion56602 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 3:39am
post #3 of 15

I've found you can't go wrong w/ White Almond Sour Cream cake. Go to this post http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-614554-3195.html & I know MacsMom & a few others have a link in their signature line that has a link for soooo many different variations. Yummy!

minicuppie Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 15

Wrap in plastic then foil...freeze and thaw with plastic on. Don't put in fridge for more than a few hours. Eat fast.

Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 15

Find the reight recipe.

Mayo and Sour cream also helps in keeping cakes moist.

minicuppie Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 15

I need to hijack for a minute...how much mayo do you use? Do you just toss a spoonful in or is there a specific recipe or technique?

kakeladi Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 15

Re adding mayo: about 1/3 cup replaces any oil called for; use all the other ingredients as called for.

Debluvs2bake Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 15

Pound cakes are dense.

ybeal Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 15

I saw a video on YouTube (sorry I can't remember whose) that suggested wrapping warm cakes in plastic wrap. I started doing that and boy does in make them moist! I've done it with choc. cake, WASC, and vanilla/caramel cake, all with great success. It also makes the cakes a little denser. I just leave them wrapped that way and once cool or the next day, torte and fill - or you can freeze them.

I left one cake in the freezer for 5 months (forgot it was there), suspected I'd have to toss it but when I defrosted it, it was just perfect and you couldn't even tell it had been frozen!

dandelion56602 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:52pm
post #10 of 15

There will be some to tell you not to wrap a warm cake b/c bacteria can grow rapidly. I personally cool to room temp then wrap in plastic, wrap in aluminum, wrap in a bag then freeze.

If you use Rebecca Sutterby's (probably butchered the spelling) but add 1 pkg of pudding to the full recipe---1/2 pkg to 1/2 recipe you'll be plesantly surprised. And if you're just wanting a white vanilla flavored cake use vanilla instead of almond in the recipe

ybeal Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:51am
post #11 of 15

Dandelion, Really? I guess I hadn't thought about that, I'm doing a cake tomorrow for friends that I wrapped while, should I re-bake it?????

ybeal Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:54am
post #12 of 15

Dandelion, really?!?! I guess I never thought of that. I'm doing a cake tomorrow for a friend that I baked and wrapped warm, should I re-bake??!? icon_eek.gif

minicuppie Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:04am
post #13 of 15

There are few bacteria that can stand up to freezing. Your cake will be fine....

artscallion Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:15am
post #14 of 15

Baking in an oven will kill any bacteria. After that, wrapping protects it from new bacteria. The little that gets on it between oven and wrapping while warm will not be killed in the freezer. But they will hibernate while frozen. When you thaw the cake, any bacteria will be revived by the warmth. So you'll just be back where you started before you wrapped and froze it anyway.

But you'll actually be better off because, having wrapped your cake so sooner, fewer bacteria had a chance to settle on it than would have on a cake left unwrapped and exposed on the counter to cool. Your cake will be fine.

dandelion56602 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:47am
post #15 of 15

I don't care & I think your cake will be ok, but there are some on CC who are avid about letting it cool completely. I personally let it cool to room temp before wrapping b/c I level my cakes before wrapping. My experience when I wrapped it warm was it became to sticky to level after I thawed it.

But if you use the WASC & add the pkg of pudding you'll never have another problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%