Confused About Terminology

Decorating By BeeBoos-8599_ Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 3:09pm by BeeBoos-8599_

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, Last night I was watching Cake Boss and Buddy was decorating the Easter Bunny cake. He put it in the cooler and the fur came off. When he discovered it he said it was because the Royal Icing does not dry properly in the fridge. I have only used Royal Icing as glue to hold things together or as decoration on a gingerbread house and not olly was it rock hard but it tasted like crap. I would never eat it. SO my question is what is different about a Royal icing you would eat? I can see it for piping on decor you would not necessarily eat but to cover an entire cake??!

6 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:46am
post #2 of 7

When royal icing is in direct contact with a moist/higher fat surface like a pound cake/Bundt cake/fruit cake/buttercream, it doesn't dry rock-hard like it does when you use it for glue or gingerbread construction.

For example, in the UK, it's pretty common to actually ice marzipan-covered fruitcakes with royal icing. It crusts and dries hard to the touch on the exterior, but when you slice into it it's softer inside and doesn't dry solid in the interior due to the contact with the moist cake's surface.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:57am
post #3 of 7

LOL - I pick the royal icing off of gingerbread houses to eat by itself! It's just like candy to me!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:58am
post #4 of 7

RI doesn't have to taste bad. Many recipes don't have you put in any flavoring, but you can easily replace some of the water with flavoring extracts, like clear vanilla, almond, or coconut. People always rave about my sugar cookies with flavored RI.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:00am
post #5 of 7

I wonderd about that too and thought he mis~spoke perhaps? I cannot imagine usong royal icing like that.....maybe he has a different kind that is appropriate to use in that fashion, I know he is a cake genius.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:26am
post #6 of 7

You can add glycerin to royal icing to keep it from drying rock hard.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 7

I think I will stick to my trusted cream cheese be. Thanks for the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%