Recipes, Ideas, Suggestions, Opinions. All Welcome, Please!

Decorating By 1SunnyGyrl Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 1:30am by maimai16

1SunnyGyrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1SunnyGyrl Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 3

I am going to make myself a birthday cake. I have made a couple of cakes before for people in my family.

I want to make a double layer with a filing between them, and cover it with fondant. And then go from there.....

I previously just used buttercream icing to cover the cake and to decorate it.

Anyone have any ideas for fillings between the cakes? I want to make a butter yellow cake.

flavors I love:
chocolate mousse
cheesecake
vanilla bean
caramel
pecans, walnuts, or peanuts
butterscotch
milk chocolate only (not semi or dark)

Now onto covering the cake. This will be my first time using fondant... Anyone have any easy recipes that taste good?

I also need ideas on how to decorate my square cake. I don't want it to look tacky as I am making this for my birthday party.

HELP!!!

Thank you so much!

2 replies
QueenJessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenJessica Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:20am
post #2 of 3

I suggest looking at videos on you tube for covering cakes. They also have videos for decorating a gift box cake (like my avatar). Happy Birthday. icon_smile.gif

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:30am
post #3 of 3

i'm dying to try cheesecake as cake filling... then michelle foster's fondant. they say it can be put in ferfrigerator which will be amazing with cheesecake filling or choco mousse. as for the design, for first timer, i suggest you go with simple designs... you can use flower cut outs or polka dots in different colors. you can search from cc's gallery, they got simple yet elegant design that a first timer can do. good luck and hope you could post your cake's pic =) and share your experience with us =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%