Fondant That Tastes Good

Baking By Dana8793 Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 2:13pm by jlynnw

Dana8793 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana8793 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 39

Help, I am new to cake decorating, and all of the online fondant recipes I have tried taste terrible, the store bought ones taste almost vinegary, but they roll and decorate nicely. The online recipes taste better, but always stick and never roll clean no matter how much conf. sugar or cornstarch I use....I am looking for a relatively easy fondant recipe that mixes well, colors well, and tastes good, almost as if it tastes like icing.... anyone out there who can help me will be appreciated....

38 replies
anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 39

MMF (marshmallow fondant) is the one that works for me!!!!
But the easiness of working with it comes with experience....
I love it and I do all my decoration with it. I cover my cakes, do the accents and modeling with it.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 39

I had the same problem.I tried different versions until I finally found one I like.In the recipe section I found Rhonda's ultimate marshmallow fondant.It is super easy to make and use and can be stored in the fridge with no problems.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 39

Michele Foster's fondant recipe is what I use. It can be tweaked for different flavours, is easy enough to make, and rolls out nicely!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 39

I use Michelle Fosters Fondant or buy Albert Uster brand.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:08am
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamado

MMF (marshmallow fondant) is the one that works for me!!!!
But the easiness of working with it comes with experience....
I love it and I do all my decoration with it. I cover my cakes, do the accents and modeling with it.

Same here....MMF works very well for me, also. I heard that Satin Ice is good but I haven't tried it yet.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:09am
post #7 of 39

I also prefer to use Michelle Foster's Fondant.

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:13am
post #8 of 39

I love Michele Foster's fondant. I found it easier to use than marshmallow fondant.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:25am
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by saap1204

I love Michele Foster's fondant. I found it easier to use than marshmallow fondant.

agree 100 %, MFF is the way to go, MMF is too quirky to work with

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:25am
post #10 of 39

without a doubt, Michelle Foster's fondant. I have made it all flavors. I have even made it and people say I hate fondant and then eat it up!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:26am
post #11 of 39

Try Jennifer Dontz's semi-homemade recipe.

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:27am
post #12 of 39

I've used Rhonda's Ultimate MMF and Michelle Fosters and I have to say I like Michelle Foster's better. The MMF tends to be more sticky and softer so it tears easier. Foster's recipe is very smooth and easy to roll and flavor. The white chocolate version is delicious. It takes a little longer to make but is still pretty simple to make.

sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:34am
post #13 of 39

If you make MFF make sure you strain it! I just made a batch and forgot that step..not good. haha!

sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:34am
post #14 of 39

If you make MFF make sure you strain it! I just made a batch and forgot that step..not good. haha!

shari22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shari22 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:08am
post #15 of 39

Is Michelle Foster's recipe somewhere here?

Lisaa1996 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:29am
post #16 of 39

Yes...look in recipes under fondant and you should see "Michelle Foster's Updated Fondant"

Lisaa1996 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:31am
post #17 of 39

Yes...look in recipes under fondant and you should see "Michelle Foster's Updated Fondant"

Lisaa1996 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:32am
post #18 of 39

Yes...look in recipes under fondant and you should see "Michele Foster's Updated Fondant"
Here is the url - http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7432-Michele-Fosters-Updated-Fondant.html

jlynnw Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 3:48am
post #19 of 39

I found some white chocolate cream (international delights) and used for the liquid, added white chocolate essence, and white chocolate. I can't wait to try it on a cake. DD thinks I should just cover it in chocolate and make it into candy. Michelle Foster's fondant.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:00am
post #20 of 39

Michelle Foster's is AMAZING. I use MMF in a pinch.

Jlynnw, I'm curious what white chocolate essence is & where you get it. Making a white chocolate flavor is soooo difficult.

I use Butavan to flavor mine & everyone Loves it.

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:07am
post #21 of 39

Can I ask what happens if you don't strain it?

dandelion56602 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:13am
post #22 of 39

You will probably have little pieces that won't smooth out or color, even w/ kneading===at least that was my experience. It's not that hard to do, just use a sieve.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:40pm
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by shari22

Is Michelle Foster's recipe somewhere here?

yes, it is in the recipe section

jlynnw Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:53pm
post #24 of 39

The white chocolate essence is like an emulsion flavoring similar in consistancy with buttavan(sp). I was given a bottle of it from a friend who thought I would love it. It is in a gallon jug with a generic label on it. Made in California. I don't know the company name but will ask her where she got it. Anybody else know or heard of it????

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:05pm
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaa1996

Actually, Michele posted this in April. I've read about people having better results with both recipes, but Michele says that the correct one is Michele Foster Fondant, MFF and not the "Updated" recipe. The Updated recipe calls for 3 T of some ingredients and the "correct" one calls for 2.

I just wanted to let you know that I had made a few mistakes on the updated recipe for the fondant. They have now been corrected. Although I could not delete the incorrect recipe, I have posted again with the name Michele Foster Fondant, MFF.

Corrections were also made to the information on the site: www.thesugarfixtoo.com. Just click on the FONDANT button for the updated (again) information. It would also be nice if you could look around the rest of the site to see if there is anything that you would like.

I do apologize for the mistakes and the confusion. With any luck at all, I have covered most of the questions. I really, really hope so. Embarassed

Michele

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:34pm
post #26 of 39

Thank you, Michele, for posting the recipe...it was very nice of you to share icon_smile.gif Please don't feel embarrassed.

shari22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shari22 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:46pm
post #27 of 39

Thank you Lisa for posting the link!!

Lisaa1996 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 3:05pm
post #28 of 39

Ok, so just in case you need it, it looks the the actual link you want to Michele Foster's Recipes would be this instead - http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7446-46-Michele-Fosters-Fondant.html . I've been using the one with 3TBS with no problem but I think I may try this one next if only to save on how much glycerine I have to buy icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:42pm
post #29 of 39

The glycerine just gives more pliability. I actually like it w/ more b/c it's easier to work w/ & you can use the glycerine in the pharmacy isle---it's way more cheaper & is food safe

Lisaa1996 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 5:02pm
post #30 of 39

Thanks Dandelion!!! I never thought of that....it's the same as the stuff from Michaels? I usually have to drive 20-25 minutes one way to go get it from Michaels because I didn't know there was another option. I have a pharmacy only 10 minutes from me icon_smile.gif !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%