Getting Cake Supplies Back After Wedding Reception..

Decorating By jrod1974 Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 5:11am by Mensch

jrod1974 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 8

this will be my first time making a friends wedding cake, the reception will be held at a hall. Wondering how do i handle getting my cake fountain, pillars back after the event? do I go personally the following day? thanks for your input.

7 replies
Gingoodies Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 8

I would make arrangements directly with the venue staff when you deliver the cake. Do not rely on anyone from the wedding to get them for you. Most places will be able to gather the plastic pieces (fountain, plates, pillars etc) and hold them till you pick them up. Usually within a day or two.

dsilvest Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 8

Make sure you ask for a damage deposit (returned after the wedding) so that if your supplies get lost or damaged you can replace them without being out of pocket.

When you deliver the cake talk to the venue staff and find out what time you can pick up your supplies. The earlier in the day the better.

indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 8

When at all possible, I make arrangements with the venue to pick up any equipment the following Monday. I've never had a problem working with a venue on this. I am assured of getting it back in time, and the bride is happy that she doesn't have to worry about it. I provide a white trash bag with my biz card stapled to it and my phone number written on the bag in black magic marker.

I recently had one where the bride and family were from across the country. They came to Indy to get married and entrusted a member of the bridal party to return my silver plateau.

Bridal party member threw item in the back of their car and it took 3 weeks to get my stand back.

Yes, they lost their deposit. But having a deposit on file obviously didn't assure me of getting my equipment returned on time. Thank goodness I didn't need it in that 3 weeks, but I did need it the weekend after it was returned! I was THIS close to ordering a new one off of ebay!

jrod1974 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 8

thanks for all the input, i will be leaving my business card stapled to a bag (great idea!) and will talk to the venue staff directly when i deliver the cake.
also, do you leave directions for the staff when cutting the cake?

jrod1974 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 8

thanks for all the input, i will be leaving my business card stapled to a bag (great idea!) and will talk to the venue staff directly when i deliver the cake.
also, do you leave directions for the staff when cutting the cake?

indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 8

About half the time, I leave what I call my Stick-People-Cake-Drawing (made in excel ... just boxes stacked like a wedding cake) for them. It shows the size of the cakes, the number of servings per tier, and the flavors/fillings in each tier.

The first time I had this with me, the venue asked "Is that for us? Wow, that is great!" So being quick on my feet that day, I said, "Oh sure! I always leave one of these for the venue to show you the flavors!" icon_rolleyes.gif

If I used a center dowel, I let them know it's in there. But I dont' tell them specifically how to cut it unless they ask. My Stick-People-Drawing shows how many servings I expect them to get out of each tier.

Mensch Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 5:11am
post #8 of 8

Money is a great motivator. I take a big fat CASH deposit for equipment, and they to return the stuff at the latest Wednesday at 5pm. I don't have time to go running around town and county, picking up equipment from 5 different venues.

I always leave cutting instructions and a chart. Always.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%