Windows

Decorating By Tracy71 Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 3:48am by shanna_banana

Tracy71 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 6

How do I create the illusion of windows on a cake? I am trying to replicate my husbands office building.

5 replies
SJ169 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 6

Maybe piping gel? You could maybe tint it a really light blue color??

marccrand Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 6

I've used light blue/gray fondant. You can swipe a LITTLE piping gel across it to create some shine. I wouldn't cover the whole thing in gel though.

shanna_banana Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 6

You could try making sugar tiles that look like glass. It's the same technique as "sugar bottles." You woud need a mold for it. I was playing around with a heart silicone mold and made a bunch of heart tiles. Just look for a mold with squares. HTH

Tracy71 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you guys for all the great tips. I will try that. How exactly do you make sugar molds or sugar tiles? I have never done that.

shanna_banana Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:48am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy71

Thank you guys for all the great tips. I will try that. How exactly do you make sugar molds or sugar tiles? I have never done that.

I used a hard candy recipe made in the microwave. (Don't know it off the top of my head.) You can color it and/or flavor it. I found my silicone heart mold at the 99 cent store, so I'm sure they have square ones too. Or you could try Wal Mart. The most important thing is to not overcook your sugar/corn syrup mixture. It will start to turn yellow and by then it's too late (unless you are using a dark color). But it starts to smell burnt after that and I imagine that's not what you are looking for. You may have to try a couple times to get the time right for your microwave. But you don't have to use the 50% power and then 100% power. Just follow the candy instructions. Do a google search for microwave hard candy. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%