Covering Awkward Rkt Shapes In Fondant?

Decorating By lissyUK Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 12:13am by BlakesCakes

lissyUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissyUK Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

Trying to cover a mini mannequin/tailor's dummy body made from RKT, it needs to be covered in black fondant to sit on top of the cake.

Any tips? Should i just roll a strip and cover it from the front, over the top, and down the back and then join the sides up?

And what would you suggest covering the RKT with? not keen on using buttercream as dont want to lose the definition!

Thanks so much in advance.

5 replies
CookieGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieGirl Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 6

I've coated the RKT shapes in Royal icing ( or white choc wafers if your short for time) it gives a smoother surface for your fondant and helps hide the RKT texture.

Andy383240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andy383240 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 6

Coating the RKT with chocolate has worked well for me. I think your idea of of going from bottom over the top and down will be best. Seams down the sides will be less noticable. You could hide the seams with a thin narrow strip of fondant down each side as well making it look as if that's what you designed! Or run a tracing wheel down seams to look like stitching. Good luck!

lissyUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissyUK Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you guys. Just found an amazing picture of a mannequin wearing a dress- might see if that's something i could do - do the mannequin in white as per your suggestions and then if i mess it up cover it in a dress! Seam could be down the back as a zip if necessary!

You've been a massive help! Thanks

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 6

I've made one (in my photos). I used two layers of fondant to help smoothen things out. I also just covered the top part with black fondant and hide the remaining part with the dress.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:13am
post #6 of 6

I like modeling chocolate or rolled buttercream (recipe here on cc) for odd shapes.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%