Modeling Chocolate And White Chocolate Fondant Qestion

Decorating By Niquie Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 9:38pm by Niquie

Niquie Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all,
For some reason, I cannot seem to ever get my homemade fondant right. It always easily tears or is crumbly. I've used 3 different recipes so far, and that includes mmf and mff, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. So, I was wondering if someone had a white chocolate fondant recipe that they wouldn't ming sharing, or some tips as to why my fondant is tearing or crumbly. I love butter cream, and I would love to be one of those butter cream queens some day, but I still want to be able to make a batch of fondant to cover with on occassion.

I am also looking for a modeling chocolate recipe to make figures with as I have read that it's really good for modeling. Once it's made into a figure, how long does it last? Does it last as long as a gumpaste figure would? Sorry this is so long, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

3 replies
jamiekwebb Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 4

I can't help you with the white chocolate fondant.... I just use mmf and it works well for me. Are you using enough liquid when melting the marshmallow? I use about 2-3 tablespoons with one of them being vanilla. As for the modeling chocolate, I use candy clay. 1 bag of candy melts and 1/3 cup of corn syrup. After the choc. is melted add the corn syrup and stir it will get really stiff. Then dump it out on wax or parchment and cover it with another piece of the same thing , let it sit over night. I will be hard to work with at first but once you get it softened (work with small pieces at a atime) it is pretty easy. It will melt easily if left in hot temp for a while. If you are needing it to last I would recomend gumpaste or fondant/gumpaste mix instead.

raquel1 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 4

I use white chocolate mff and it works perfectly, the times it didn't work well is when I used Bakers brand white chocolate, when I use Ghirardelli I don't have any problems. Are you letting it rest overnight? do you sift your sugar? do you pass the wet ingredients through a sieve when adding to the ps? All this things are crucial for great results.
Regarding modeling chocolate if it is the same as candy clay the recipe I've used is 1 # chocolate bark to 1/2 cup light corn syrup. This has worked for roses, leaves and such and is not something you would or could keep like gp. hth

Niquie Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you all very much. I was not sifting my ingredients, so I guess that's where I was going wrong. I'll have to try it this time. I was doing it for the mff, but it still was tearing. I guess I'll just have to keep practicing until I get it right. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%