Cookie Helf From A Newbie

Baking By FREDDIKINS Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 2:10pm by serialbabe1968

FREDDIKINS Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I have only just started making cookies and hope someone can answer a question for me please.

I am delighted with the finished "look" of them but so disappointed that they seem "soft" when they are eaten. I only use a very thin layer of sugarpaste and use a very thin smear of jam to attach it to the cookie. Is this what you guys do or can anyone suggest a better way of doing it? Would piping gelgive a more cris bisuit? I am looking for the "snap" when the cookie is eaten.

I am in the Uk so this is my first time of Cake Central - so hope someone can help!!

jackie x

4 replies
Elise87 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:19am
post #2 of 5

Hi! Welcome to CC...here are some method of putting on fondant that i know:

1. Put the fondant on the cookies straight out of the oven and that way it will slightly melt and adhere it's self to the cookie.

2. A very thin smear of royal icing on the biscuit can also be used to adhere the fondant on

3. A very thin smear of melted corn syrup can also do the trick.

So that's the ones i know of althought i personally am not sure about piping gel, i can't remember if i heard that one

Maybe with yours the jam soaked into the biscuit or something making it softer but not sure about that.

Anyway HTH icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 5

I assume you're using a crisp cookie (biscuit) when there's no icing; and the problem is moisture soaking in from the jam and icing, softening them.
So you would want either a moisture barrier or less moisture in the icing.

Here's a crisp 'biscuit' recipe, if the problem is the cookie.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/Recipe.aspx?RecipeID=125253&servings=48

serialbabe1968 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 5

I use royal icing diluted with some water as glue. the cookies are always great.

serialbabe1968 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 5

I use royal icing diluted with some water as glue. the cookies are always great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%