Fondant Borders On A Buttercream Cake

Decorating By BABYG Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 8:12pm by BABYG

BABYG Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 14

Hello i have a wedding cake coming up on july 18th. it is going to be a 3 tier square cake with cream cheese buttercream. i've never tried attatching a fondant border onto buttercream, i've only used satin ribbon. so are there any tips on how to apply the fondant border and making it stick, because i definitely dont want the borders to fall off in the middle of the reception icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
jamiekwebb Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 14

When you cut out your borders make sure that they are nice and dry(non sticky) then roll them up loosly. As you appply them you will unroll thme at the same time. It will be easier to apply them to your cake this way. To make them stick better you may want to lightly brush them water, not much tough. HTH

Teekakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 14

Hi icon_smile.gif You should only need to slightly moisten the back of the fondant for it to adhere to the bc. You can also lightly mist the bc with water or vodka where the fondant is going to go.
Either way, it takes only a small amount of water or vodka in order for the fondant to stick to the bc. icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Hi icon_smile.gif You should only need to slightly moisten the back of the fondant for it to adhere to the bc. You can also lightly mist the bc with water or vodka where the fondant is going to go.
Either way, it takes only a small amount of water or vodka in order for the fondant to stick to the bc. icon_smile.gif





Not saying this doesnt work, but doing it like this makes it a bit more difficult as you can't roll the ribbon. If it's a short ribbon is ok, but longer ones can be troublesome as the wet fondant can break easier and loose shape.
I prefer to brush slightly the water on the buttercream and the roll the fondant loosely. And unroll as I put it on the cake...

Edna icon_smile.gif

BABYG Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 14

thankyou all very much,that helps me out a lot. and i apologize that i posted the question twice, i thought it didnt go through the first time.

jamiekwebb Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 14

I totally agree with edna

Teekakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Hi icon_smile.gif You should only need to slightly moisten the back of the fondant for it to adhere to the bc. You can also lightly mist the bc with water or vodka where the fondant is going to go.
Either way, it takes only a small amount of water or vodka in order for the fondant to stick to the bc. icon_smile.gif




Not saying this doesnt work, but doing it like this makes it a bit more difficult as you can't roll the ribbon. If it's a short ribbon is ok, but longer ones can be troublesome as the wet fondant can break easier and loose shape.
I prefer to brush slightly the water on the buttercream and the roll the fondant loosely. And unroll as I put it on the cake...

Edna icon_smile.gif




icon_lol.gif You make me laugh, Edna icon_razz.gif . Of course, no you can't use water on the back of fondant if you are rolling the fondant up into one long strip. However, if you are doing a patterned strip border like the one in my avatar then it is easy to use a little water on the back of the border. If you have one long piece of border by all means roll it up and lightly mist the bc with water or vodka. My personal preference is the vodka because it dries much quicker.

BABYG Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 14

i forgot, i had one more question. when i roll the fondant out should i roll it out thin ?

Teekakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYG

i forgot, i had one more question. when i roll the fondant out should i roll it out thin ?





The fondant border on the Black & White cake in my avatar is rolled no more than 1/16th inch thickness. If you are wanting/needing a delicate look then I suggest rolling thin. If you are making a chunkier whimsy style cake then the border may look better at 1/8th in thickness. For me, the thicker the fondant is the less delicate and refined it looks. So I most always roll thin. icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 9:28pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Hi icon_smile.gif You should only need to slightly moisten the back of the fondant for it to adhere to the bc. You can also lightly mist the bc with water or vodka where the fondant is going to go.
Either way, it takes only a small amount of water or vodka in order for the fondant to stick to the bc. icon_smile.gif




Not saying this doesnt work, but doing it like this makes it a bit more difficult as you can't roll the ribbon. If it's a short ribbon is ok, but longer ones can be troublesome as the wet fondant can break easier and loose shape.
I prefer to brush slightly the water on the buttercream and the roll the fondant loosely. And unroll as I put it on the cake...

Oh i didnt mean to roll after you put the water, I said you can't roll it if you add water. You do beatiful work and of course you know what works for you. Im just saying that for a newbie it might be easier to roll.. Since the tendency for the ribbon to break is less..

I know very well you do beautiful work!..I just see so many issues with people when they are starting to work with fondant ribbons. The most typicall thing is they put too much water on the back, wich makes it slippery. Sometimes the are not sure how to hold it so the shape of the ribbon can be damaged..and other things

But make sure I wouldnt ever suggest what you said doesnt work or is not a good idea. I simply said one is easier than the other for those who never done it before.. I hope you didn't took it wrong icon_redface.gif
Edna

Edna icon_smile.gif



icon_lol.gif You make me laugh, Edna icon_razz.gif . Of course, no you can't use water on the back of fondant if you are rolling the fondant up into one long strip. However, if you are doing a patterned strip border like the one in my avatar then it is easy to use a little water on the back of the border. If you have one long piece of border by all means roll it up and lightly mist the bc with water or vodka. My personal preference is the vodka because it dries much quicker.


Teekakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 9:52pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Hi icon_smile.gif You should only need to slightly moisten the back of the fondant for it to adhere to the bc. You can also lightly mist the bc with water or vodka where the fondant is going to go.
Either way, it takes only a small amount of water or vodka in order for the fondant to stick to the bc. icon_smile.gif




Not saying this doesnt work, but doing it like this makes it a bit more difficult as you can't roll the ribbon. If it's a short ribbon is ok, but longer ones can be troublesome as the wet fondant can break easier and loose shape.
I prefer to brush slightly the water on the buttercream and the roll the fondant loosely. And unroll as I put it on the cake...

Oh i didnt mean to roll after you put the water, I said you can't roll it if you add water. You do beatiful work and of course you know what works for you. Im just saying that for a newbie it might be easier to roll.. Since the tendency for the ribbon to break is less..

I know very well you do beautiful work!..I just see so many issues with people when they are starting to work with fondant ribbons. The most typicall thing is they put too much water on the back, wich makes it slippery. Sometimes the are not sure how to hold it so the shape of the ribbon can be damaged..and other things

But make sure I wouldnt ever suggest what you said doesnt work or is not a good idea. I simply said one is easier than the other for those who never done it before.. I hope you didn't took it wrong icon_redface.gif
Edna

Edna icon_smile.gif



icon_lol.gif You make me laugh, Edna icon_razz.gif . Of course, no you can't use water on the back of fondant if you are rolling the fondant up into one long strip. However, if you are doing a patterned strip border like the one in my avatar then it is easy to use a little water on the back of the border. If you have one long piece of border by all means roll it up and lightly mist the bc with water or vodka. My personal preference is the vodka because it dries much quicker.




Edna.....One day I can only hope to be as knowledgable about all things cake decorating as you are! I always love your advice and your work and would never take anything you say personal because I know you have only the best intentions ever! I am NOT one of those kinds of people!! NO NO NO NO NO!!!! And I don't like those kinds of people either! Think nothing of it lady, I sure didn't! ! icon_biggrin.gif We are both on the same page here and as long as she takes any of the advice she is going to be sailing through her fondant border. There are more ways than one to decorate a cake and I for one love knowing more than one of those ways. I am sure she is thankful for any and all answers she gets to her question.icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 10:01pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Hi icon_smile.gif You should only need to slightly moisten the back of the fondant for it to adhere to the bc. You can also lightly mist the bc with water or vodka where the fondant is going to go.
Either way, it takes only a small amount of water or vodka in order for the fondant to stick to the bc. icon_smile.gif




Not saying this doesnt work, but doing it like this makes it a bit more difficult as you can't roll the ribbon. If it's a short ribbon is ok, but longer ones can be troublesome as the wet fondant can break easier and loose shape.
I prefer to brush slightly the water on the buttercream and the roll the fondant loosely. And unroll as I put it on the cake...

Oh i didnt mean to roll after you put the water, I said you can't roll it if you add water. You do beatiful work and of course you know what works for you. Im just saying that for a newbie it might be easier to roll.. Since the tendency for the ribbon to break is less..

I know very well you do beautiful work!..I just see so many issues with people when they are starting to work with fondant ribbons. The most typicall thing is they put too much water on the back, wich makes it slippery. Sometimes the are not sure how to hold it so the shape of the ribbon can be damaged..and other things

But make sure I wouldnt ever suggest what you said doesnt work or is not a good idea. I simply said one is easier than the other for those who never done it before.. I hope you didn't took it wrong icon_redface.gif
Edna

Edna icon_smile.gif



icon_lol.gif You make me laugh, Edna icon_razz.gif . Of course, no you can't use water on the back of fondant if you are rolling the fondant up into one long strip. However, if you are doing a patterned strip border like the one in my avatar then it is easy to use a little water on the back of the border. If you have one long piece of border by all means roll it up and lightly mist the bc with water or vodka. My personal preference is the vodka because it dries much quicker.




Edna.....One day I can only hope to be as knowledgable about all things cake decorating as you are! I always love your advice and your work and would never take anything you say personal because I know you have only the best intentions ever! I am NOT one of those kinds of people!! NO NO NO NO NO!!!! And I don't like those kinds of people either! Think nothing of it lady, I sure didn't! ! icon_biggrin.gif We are both on the same page here and as long as she takes any of the advice she is going to be sailing through her fondant border. There are more ways than one to decorate a cake and I for one love knowing more than one of those ways. I am sure she is thankful for any and all answers she gets to her question.icon_biggrin.gif




You know I love ya!.. icon_lol.gif ...And one thing... Im not a know it all icon_redface.gif .. I keep learning so much stuff everyday.. I only share my experiences..but I love to be corrected if Im wrong..One only learn by mistakes, and other people experiences always help.. There are so many people in here that know so much and do things different that you only hope to catch a little of their knowledge and keep learning..

The beauty about cake decorating is that everyday there is something new to learn..

Edna icon_biggrin.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 10:22pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYG

i forgot, i had one more question. when i roll the fondant out should i roll it out thin ?




I would say roll it thin but not as thin as for flowers, it can be difficult..
If you use a pasta roller you can use it in 3..I have gone to 4 in some cases.

BABYG Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 8:12pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you both. im going to use the methods you've told me about. everything is so much clearer now icon_biggrin.gif . i'll be sure to post a pic of the cake. thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%