Fish Cake Help

Decorating By sugarinspired Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 3:51pm by holly4409

sugarinspired Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 8

Help I said yes to a fish cake and don't know how does anyone know?

7 replies
lngo Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 8

You can cover the fish-shaped cake in fondant and dust/paint with a grey shimmer. Also, use the end of a tip and make half moon indentations into the fondant to resemble scales. I saw this once in a Colette Peters book (sorry, don't remember the title, but it has a golden cake on the cover - maybe it was a wedding cake).

lngo Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 8

You can cover the fish-shaped cake in fondant and dust/paint with a grey shimmer. Also, use the end of a tip and make half moon indentations into the fondant to resemble scales. I saw this once in a Colette Peters book (sorry, don't remember the title, but it has a golden cake on the cover - maybe it was a wedding cake).

lngo Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 8

jenng1482 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 8

I have a fish cake (a bass to be specific) posted on my pics. It was done using a plastic oven safe pan and all buttercream. I melted chocolate and poured into fins and tail then placed on cake.

holly4409 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 8

does it have to look "real"? when i saw your post on the home page, the first thing i thought of was like a goldfish... round cake with crescents cut from top and bottom and use the parts to make tail and lips... orange fondant, use a tip to make the scales like the pp's said... with red luster dust at the edges of the scales...

now i am rambling

HTH
icon_biggrin.gif

sugarinspired Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:04am
post #7 of 8

thanks for all your help here is my end result with the cake fish
i use a 12x12 pan curve it down like a football and contour it alil use a tip for the scale and piping gel to make the eye alil more realistic and use lustre dust to hightlight my fish and splat black dots on the fish and just painted the cake board brown it looks more dimensional in person but pic will do
LL

holly4409 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 8

i love it! thanks for sharing the final result. it's too cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%