Can I Use Regular Straws Instead Of 'bubble Tea' Straws?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 2:23pm by Magda_MI

MrsNancyB1 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making a two tier cake. The bottom tier is 10" and the top tier is 8". I CANNOT find anywhere that sells bubble tea straws. I'm wondering if I can use regular straws instead, or is that too risky?

FWIW, I have the Wilton plastic dowels, but I'm a bit worried about how I will cut them when I need them.

7 replies
pattigunter Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 8

Not sure about regular straws but I dont see why not. Bubble Tea straws are just a bit thicker. I would use the plastic wilton dowels - cut them with a large serrated knife. Watch the fingers!

Do a google search for bubble tea straws - I bought mine at an oriental food supply store. I cant remember the name of it though. They're very cheap.

tiggy2 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 8

You can get bubble tea straws on ebay and they are inexpensive. I probably wouldn't trust regular straws but I have heard some people use the big straws from McDonalds in a pinch.

audrey0522 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 8

I have used the thicker straws from McDonalds with no problems. I do tend to put more in then I probably need to. I also use a center dowel. I never had any problems so far. I have taken my 2 tier fondant covered cakes about 4 hours away, and a 3 tiered 6 hours away. I did order the SPS system for a four tier cake I have to travel 4 hours with.

splash2splat Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 8

I got my bubble straws from tentea . com (remove spaces). I know a few people who use regular straws and they have never had any problems. I personally feel more comfortable use the bubble straws.

Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:47am
post #6 of 8

I would assume that it would hold up well since it's only 2 tiers and an 8 inch cake. Try using a combination of the plastic dowels and regular straws.

Magda_MI Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 8

(skip this message--it didnt' work)

Magda_MI Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 8

I used regular straws as supports for this cake, and drove 4.5 hours with it to a friend's wedding in Hamilton, Ontario last Wednesday. I had a tiny bit of cracking at the top of the bottom tier on the corners, but was able to fill it in with buttercream. Otherwise it traveled fine (I just had to reattach one leaf). I did use a few more of them than I would regular dowels.

Edited to add that this cake is smaller than it looks: they are 2" high tiers, measuring 12-10-8-6-4"

Quote by @%username% on %date%