Gumpaste Looks Off-White, Is This Normal?

Decorating By SweetRocky Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 4:45pm by nicki9774

SweetRocky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetRocky Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 5

I've used gumpaste only once before and remember it looking not quite white when dry? I'm about to put a gumpaste sign next to white white fondant. Am I crazy remembering this wrong, or is there a solution?

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 5

Are you using Wilton or one of the recipes with tylose? The Wilton one is not bright white.

SweetRocky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetRocky Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 5

Wilton because I felt like it was cheaper than getting ingredients. I don't use it often. Have you ever tried adding that color whitener to it?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 5

I haven't...I've got a bottle of that stuff somewhere, but I can never find it when I need it. I keep meaning to try painting with it and see how long it takes to dry...guess I should buy another bottle next time I'm at Michaels. Of course then I will find mine icon_biggrin.gif

I use Nicholas Lodge's recipe because it doesn't stink and it's easier to work with...the tylose was $3.99 at the cake decorating store and there's enough in there for two batches. You can also knead the tylose into fondant. I saw that you're in TX, if you happen to be in San Antonio, American Gift Shoppe at 1604 and Blanco is where I buy tylose.

nicki9774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicki9774 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 5

It's not white white. You will have to use white coloring or airbrush it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%