Gold Bands

Decorating By live2create Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 4:38pm by matthewkyrankelly

live2create Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 3

I have a 50th ann. cake coming up. I would like to place gold bands around the top of each cake. I have tossed a few toughts around in my head. My thoughts are to roll fondant out spray paint gold and cut the bands to the size I want then place on cake. Or use fondant place the fondant on the cake and then paint them, but not sure what to use for the paint. I would like any suggestions or if you have a picture I could see I would very much appriecate.
I thought about pearl dust and paint the bands but that perhaps would take alot of time and dust.
Appreciate any help

2 replies
brincess_b Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 3

start with yellow fondant, and then paint on the gold colour once they are on the cake - just be careful! just mix dust with a bit of alcohol, you dont need that much. it can be hard to stop it looking streaky though - you really need an airbrush.
it would be 'better' to colour the bands first, but in the time it takes to paint them, the fondant might start to dry and crack - you might want to experiment? and if the colour isnt dry then it will lift off as you touch it.
xx

matthewkyrankelly Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 3

Have you considered real gold dust? I use it all the time with chocolate. It comes powdered and I just dry brush it on. FYI - real gold leafing techniques often start out with a red painted finish before adding the gold. It enhances the color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%