Would You Buy This?

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 2:27am by Rylan

mindy1204 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 24

Would you buy this?

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=621399

I have a luau cake and a baby shower cake to make so I thought about getting this kit. I have very little flower cutters and thought this would be the best way to get them all.

TIA

23 replies
PinkZiab Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 24

The wilton kit is a good starter for someone who wants to give gumpaste flowers a try, and doesn't want/can't spend a fortune on cutters and veiners and such. I, personally, wouldn't buy it, because my experience is a bit beyond what's in that kit. But for the money, it really is a great way to get your feet wet.

pattigunter Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 24

Most Michaels and Hobby Lobby's carry this item. Use the 40% coupon to purchase the kit.

pattigunter Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 24

Most Michaels and Hobby Lobby's carry this item. Use the 40% coupon to purchase the kit.

Auryn Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 24

I bought that kit with a 50% off coupon.
I've never done gumpaste flowers.
With that basis, I like it and I would tell someone who is just starting out to go ahead and buy it.
The cutters are kinda crap. Even though the edges look sharp, because they are plastic you dont get a super sharp cut line.
Aside from that its not bad.

Teekakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 24

Mindy, this kit is what I purchased when learning to make various sugarpaste/gumpaste flowers. The set comes with a book that has very clear and easy instructions for creating a large variety of flowers.
I highly recommend this kit to anyone wanting to learn making flowers. You will quickly learn the basics and can then branch out and purchase the higher $$ quality cutters as you need them.
I purchased my kit at Michaels for 19.99. Some of the higher quality metal cutters cost this much and more to make just one flower.
Have fun!! icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 24

For just starting out, IMO, it is fine. If you grease the cutters (put some shortning on your mat and then just tub the cutter in it a little) they will have a sharper cut to them. You then can see if you are really "into" the gumpaste stuff before spending a lot of money on the nicer equipment.

I add to my collection as I go - but that was my first set, and I don't regret it at all - not a big investment to see if you like the technique! thumbs_up.gif

QueenJessica Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 24

I PERSONALLY LIKE METAL CUTTERS BETTER; THEY GIVE YOU A CLEANER CUT. IF I WERE YOU I WOULD BUY A COUPLE METAL CUTTER SETS FROM MICHAELS TO SEE IF YOU LIKE IT.

icer101 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 24

i teach gumpaste classes at michaels.. this kit is very nice.. you have to know how to use any cutter , plastic or metal. to cut clean edges.. jem, pme, fmm. sell plastic cutters.. and they are good too. you have to press hard and wiggle cutter.. you also have to do this with metal cutters.. so yes, buy this it at michaels or acmoore with coupons.. then as you take more outside classses .. you will add to your collection of cutters..some people just shiver in disgust at the word WILTON and that is sad...hth

newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 24

I have two of these kits (don't know how I ended up with two) but I've never used them. I got one of the cutter sets out to play one day and I didn't like the plastic cutters so they went back in the bag with the book and I haven't pulled it out again. The flowers I like aren't in this book, either, so it wasn't really much help for me.

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:29pm
post #11 of 24

I really get a lot of use out of mine.

I will agree that the book is out of date and ugly...but I use the cutters a lot, especially the small 5 petal flowers. Actually, lately I've been thinking about buying a second set because some of my cutters have wandered away in the 10 years I've owned the set.

Of course for roses it's Jem 5 petal cutters for me! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

To make smoother edges, especially on daisies, turn the cutter upside down and lay the fondant or gumpaste on top of the cutter, then roll over it.

txnonnie Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:38pm
post #12 of 24

I have used mine some. I agree the metal give a sharper cleaner edge, but these are very duable useable.

serialbabe1968 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:45pm
post #13 of 24

My first cake I ever made, without taking any classes was with the help of this kit. The instructions are so easy and when you are starting out this is a great kit. With the Michael's coupons it is well worth it. IMO

serialbabe1968 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:46pm
post #14 of 24

My first cake I ever made, without taking any classes was with the help of this kit. The instructions are so easy and when you are starting out this is a great kit. With the Michael's coupons it is well worth it. IMO

mindy1204 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:00pm
post #15 of 24

Thanks.. I bought it at lunch and looked thru the book. Not crazy about the flowers in the book but I can still use the cutters. With the 50% off cpn it was only 11 so not to bad.

I will probably try the rose though cause I havent made a gumpaste one yet.

mindy1204 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:00pm
post #16 of 24

Thanks.. I bought it at lunch and looked thru the book. Not crazy about the flowers in the book but I can still use the cutters. With the 50% off cpn it was only 11 so not to bad.

mindy1204 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:02pm
post #17 of 24

bobhope Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:35pm
post #18 of 24

i have this one..it was better than nothing since the vanda orchid cutter (for a wedding last july 4th)i so needed wasn't available from my local supplier.so i made use of what this kit could offer icon_smile.gif

KSMill Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:35pm
post #19 of 24

This kit was my introduction to gum paste flowers. The flowers turned out great, I learned, people loved them and it wasn't expensive. I've since moved on to metal cutters, but I think this is a great way to figure out if you like working with gum paste.

cylstrial Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:45pm
post #20 of 24

Does anyone have a good place they recommend to buy the cutters?

SUELA Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:48pm
post #21 of 24

The carnation is a bit of a train wreck...lol...but I teach Gumpaste Flowers at a Michael's here (starting a new class tonight!)

I agree the metal cutters are better, but plastic does the trick. I actually wish Wilton came out with silicone veiners.

mindy1204 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:59pm
post #22 of 24

I made the carnation in the Fondant/gumpaste class so I do know how to make them LOL.

mindy1204 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:00pm
post #23 of 24

I made the carnation in the Fondant/gumpaste class so I do know how to make them LOL.

Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:27am
post #24 of 24

Honestly, I don't see a difference with plastic and metal cutters. I use both kinds and still have clean edges.
I think it's ok to buy those cutters, everyone has to start somewhere right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%