Going Into Business!

Business By CIApastrychef Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 11:13pm by Deb_

CIApastrychef Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 22

Good morning everyone!

I have recently started my own baking business. Right now, just working out of the home, but the ultimate goal is opening up my own bakery! So far, I've been working the local farmer's market selling my products. Currently I'm selling more baked goods than decorated cakes, which is fine with me!
I am a Baking & Pastry graduate of The Culinary Institute of America. All of my products are completely from scratch, no mixes, no pre-made stuff, artificial flavors, preservatives. Nothing against anyone who uses those things, I've just been formally trained by French chefs who have instilled in me the importance of fresh ingredients.
Obviously, my premium products demand good quality ingredients, which in turn means I have to charge a little bit more than others may charge.
One of my products are scones, which are a fairly labor intensive process; the garnishes and inclusions take sometimes days to complete.
Aaaanyway, lol, I have a small rant, one time this woman comes up and looks at my products, and in front of a bunch of ppl says "These are the most expensive scones I've ever seen, how do you think people can afford these? Especially the way the economy is." I sweetly explained to her about the ingredients and all the hard work I put into the products, and she promptly rolled her eyes and walked over to the next booth and bought a half dozen of gross artificial cupcakes they were selling for $2.
I know you guys run into this all the time, but it's so irritating! Everyone knows the state of the economy right now, personally I think it's getting old that people keep bringing it up when they are out SHOPPING.

Well I could go on and on, but it's nothing you guys haven't heard before. I'm hoping that this bakery thing takes off, really the only thing holding me back is that big $ sign in the sky!

Well I'm sure you guys will hear more from me in the near future, I just got a website up and running yesterday, so hopefully I'm on my way.

Thanks!

21 replies
SweetRocky Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 22

Good luck to you, your website looks great! I hope your business takes off quickly, you only need a few dedicated customers to sail. It sounds like the farmers market is the perfect place for your particular products! Have a great day.

flourpowerMN Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 22

Love the style & colors on your website. I think it's great that you've included your personal stories as well.

Good luck!!

leah_s Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 22

Actually I think it's smart to offer a range of products at variety of price points.

CIApastrychef Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 22

I think my price points have been pretty good. Then again, I know the time and cost of the products. So far, this has been what I've been charging:

3oz scone, infused with diff kinds fresh fruit- $3

2oz bags of homemade flavored marshmallows- $1 to $2, depending on price of garnish

9inch long biscotti, with fruit, nuts, dipped in chocolate- $1.50

3oz bag of mini flourless brownies- $3

Half dozen chocolate chunk cookies- $4

2 oz bag of Hand dipped Kahlua Truffles- $2

All of my chocolate is high end, for example last week I spent $25 on chocolate alone! So I really don't think I'm charging too much for what the product is. There's no oil, margarine, crisco, etc in anything, its all 100% butter. I try to price my stuff to move, but I don't want to cheat myself out of my hard work.

brincess_b Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 22

can i ask what you do to your scones to make them fancier? im used to quick and easy ones.
xx

brookerene Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 22

Your prices don't seem off the wall for what you are offering. I do agree you should have items over a wide range of prices. The biggest problem we all face is that people have a Walmart mentality that everything should be cheap (Although if they only knew that wallyworld wasn't as cheap as they thought). People want things cheap irregardless if it's at the cost of slavery. Yet, there are people who really do appreciate hard work and great ingredients etc... just be patient, stick to your guns, and you will find them. Present you products well and they will sell. It just takes time to build a reputation with the right customers. Good luck on your endeavor.

CIApastrychef Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 22

Thanks everyone for your replies! <3

So far, I've made 4 different scone flavors:

Blueberry Lemon-- fresh blueberries and candied lemon peel, lemon glaze

Cranberry Orange-- Rehydrated dried cranberries and candied orange peel, orange glaze

Cinnamon Raisin-- Rehydrated raisins, cinnamon glaze

Cherry Almond-- Vanilla poached dried cherries and toasted almonds, vanilla cherry glaze

They have a quickly growing fanbase, received many comments that they are the most moist scones they've ever had. One woman took one to her mother, visiting from England, and she said it was the best scone she's had in America icon_smile.gif

It is hard, with the walmart mentality out there. But there is an evergrowing population looking for fresh, non-processed food. We are also tapping in to the rapidly growing Gluten-Free movement.

MichelleM77 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:04pm
post #9 of 22

Hello from another Ohioan!

One thing you might want to consider is doing a special price at the farmer's market to at least get your products into the hands of the consumer. Don't sell yourself short though. Just a thought.

Your scones sound delicious! I've never had one myself, but I did have a customer at our farmer's market ask about them. Love the colors of your blog! It looks great!

cylstrial Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 22

I also think it's good to have a variety of price points along the way. That way there is something for everyone. They also have a better selection. Good luck! Cute website!

classiccake Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 3:18am
post #11 of 22

Best wishes starting your new venture!

classiccake Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 3:19am
post #12 of 22

Best wishes starting your new venture!

DebBTX Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:21am
post #13 of 22

Congratulations to you both on your new business. I respect the fact that you want to use quality ingredients, and are willing to go the extra mile to create something wonderful.

Your scones sound delicious.

I really believe as time goes by, the customers who appreciate your work will become loyal and tell others who are looking for more upscale bakery items.

Your prices seem very reasonable. Please don't let people discourage you. You are providing something nicer than a grocery store is able to provide. Your prices should reflect that.

Enjoy your new venture. Have fun with it.

-Debbie B.

SaltCakeCity Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 8:40am
post #14 of 22

Hello, I'm starting a new cake business and so far I've only sold cakes and cupcakes. I just got a cake order and the bride wants brownie bites and lemon bars (for her dessert bar) at the wedding as well. She's having around 350 guests but doesn't need to feed all 350 with every dessert. I have NO IDEA what to charge for brownie bites or lemon bars that are mini-sized. Any thoughts? Additionally, umm.... anyone know a fail-proof and delicious lemon bar recipe? icon_smile.gif

SaltCakeCity Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 8:41am
post #15 of 22

Hello, I'm starting a new cake business and so far I've only sold cakes and cupcakes. I just got a cake order and the bride wants brownie bites and lemon bars (for her dessert bar) at the wedding as well. She's having around 350 guests but doesn't need to feed all 350 with every dessert. I have NO IDEA what to charge for brownie bites or lemon bars that are mini-sized. Any thoughts? Additionally, umm.... anyone know a fail-proof and delicious lemon bar recipe? icon_smile.gif

SaltCakeCity Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 8:43am
post #16 of 22

SaltCakeCity Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 8:46am
post #17 of 22

ahuvas Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 8:54am
post #18 of 22

bbydlljd: Welcome I would start a new thread and do a search - this has probably been asked before.

Re: cost of products - I think its pretty average. Some people have something to say about everything icon_smile.gif Seriously, the economy can only be blamed for so much icon_smile.gif You goods aren't meant to be eaten by the dozen the way some less tasty more manufactured goods are. For example you may eat an entire hershey bar but only a few pieces of godiva chocolate. If you find that noone is buying then maybe consider lowering your prices but be proud of what you have made and be prepared to stand by it. People will take something for nothing if they can get away with it.

dhccster Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 9:19am
post #19 of 22

Good luck to you! I hope it happens soon for you to have your bakery. I know that I don't have a problem paying more for something when I know the finest ingredients are used. You just have to find the right people. Don't let those comments bother you. You are not going to sell to EVERYONE, but as long as you are selling to some.... you are doing well.

SaltCakeCity Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:42pm
post #20 of 22

Thank you! I will try to start a new post in the cost forum! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 9:59pm
post #21 of 22

I think your prices are VERY fair. The only thing I don't like is you being so far away, cause I LOVE scones & would love to try some of your delicious combos. icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:13pm
post #22 of 22

I'm in MA so I'm not sure if the Farmer's Market is run the same in OH as it is here.

Around here you go to the Farmer's Market to buy local grown veggies/fruits and an occasional cookie/cupcake.

While I think your prices are fine maybe the average patron at this type of venue will think they're on the high side.....hence the lady buying 6 cupcakes for $2 from the other vendor.

Maybe the FM is not the correct place for you to be selling your high end baked goods...........just a thought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%