Going Into Business!

Business By CIApastrychef

CIApastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIApastrychef Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 1

Good morning everyone!

I have recently started my own baking business. Right now, just working out of the home, but the ultimate goal is opening up my own bakery! So far, I've been working the local farmer's market selling my products. Currently I'm selling more baked goods than decorated cakes, which is fine with me!
I am a Baking & Pastry graduate of The Culinary Institute of America. All of my products are completely from scratch, no mixes, no pre-made stuff, artificial flavors, preservatives. Nothing against anyone who uses those things, I've just been formally trained by French chefs who have instilled in me the importance of fresh ingredients.
Obviously, my premium products demand good quality ingredients, which in turn means I have to charge a little bit more than others may charge.
One of my products are scones, which are a fairly labor intensive process; the garnishes and inclusions take sometimes days to complete.
Aaaanyway, lol, I have a small rant, one time this woman comes up and looks at my products, and in front of a bunch of ppl says "These are the most expensive scones I've ever seen, how do you think people can afford these? Especially the way the economy is." I sweetly explained to her about the ingredients and all the hard work I put into the products, and she promptly rolled her eyes and walked over to the next booth and bought a half dozen of gross artificial cupcakes they were selling for $2.
I know you guys run into this all the time, but it's so irritating! Everyone knows the state of the economy right now, personally I think it's getting old that people keep bringing it up when they are out SHOPPING.

Well I could go on and on, but it's nothing you guys haven't heard before. I'm hoping that this bakery thing takes off, really the only thing holding me back is that big $ sign in the sky!

Well I'm sure you guys will hear more from me in the near future, I just got a website up and running yesterday, so hopefully I'm on my way.

Thanks!

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%