Advice On First Tasting.

Business By AfordRN Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 2:39am by kellertur

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 11

I am just recently licensed and have my first "consult" and tasting. Can anyone give me some tips on the average number of different flavors you use. I make WASC and Choc version, strawberry and marble, but obviously don't want to bake up all those. I have WASC and choc 3" cakes froze and thought I'd do that with different fillings. Does that seem about right? icon_redface.gif

10 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:23am
post #2 of 11

I usually do 3 a choc. white, and something else. I'll have 5 fillings and butter cream and fondant.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 11

I do three basic flavors all the time, then maybe one or two others, depending on what I'm baking that week. The important thing is to let clients know that YOU choose the flavors, not them. You'll get people sending you a list of flavors they want to try if you let them request stuff.

Always confirm appointments ahead of time, you'll be surprised by how many no-shows that will eliminate.

You should also limit the number of people who can come to a free tasting (I'm assuming you're not charging.) I limit it to the bride and groom and one other person. Before I started doing that people would show up with six extra "guests" who were just there for free cake. It makes it impossible to get anything done because all the extra people pipe up with their opinions and you have to work ten times as hard to stay on track.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 11

duplicate

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:38am
post #5 of 11

So, do you bake a6" of each cake? How do I cut my batches down to make just a 6"? What about making cupcakes in advance, freezing them and using those??? Advice much appreciated.

DreamCakesOnline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamCakesOnline Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:52am
post #6 of 11

I typically use leftover batter to make cupcakes and freeze them all the time. Then, I have them on hand for tastings and for cupcake orders. I don't like to send out cupcakes that have been frozen but I have one client who likes to call tonight to get them tomorrow and they let me fill in whatever I have on hand with a half dozen of their favorites. If you get school orders they work well too so you don't have quite so many to make all at once. Some of my brides also ask for one to take with them in the cake they want so they can get someone else's opinion. It's just practical and allows me to keep tastings free of charge and keep my prices down.

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:11am
post #7 of 11

DreamCakesOnline,
How do you freeze your cupcakes? I LOVE your idea. I have frozen whole cakes before but not cupcakes. Do you wrap them individually, and with sran wrap??? TIA

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:21am
post #8 of 11

I'd like to know how to freeze also - I use the cupcake idea, but I bake in a mini ball pan, for a different presentation.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:25am
post #9 of 11

I dump all my cupcakes into a gallon-sized ziploc freezer bag, and squeeze as much air out when I seal it, then I double bag that. They stay fresh and flavorful. I just take them out as I need them, they defrost really quickly.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:38am
post #10 of 11

Hello.....
I let the bride and groom choose what flavors they want to try. It's their wedding cake, and they should be able to pick the flavors they want. With that said, I limit it to 3 selections, that I don't charge for. They can choose 3 icings, and three fillings if different than the icing.
I bake 6" cakes, then arrange slices of the cakes on a plate. I don't ice them, as I want them to be able to taste the cake by itself. I use a small scoop, and arrange samples of the icing around the cake slices. It gives them the chance to taste something alone, or they can mix and match flavors of both the icings and cakes.
I do limit who can attend. Like it has already been said, there would be a mess of people there who just want to eat cake, if you didn't limit who attends the tasting.
Brownie

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:39am
post #11 of 11

I bake a few flavors as single layer 8" squares. I torte them and fill them, cut them into small squares and individually wrap in saran and freeze for future tastings. When I have a tasting, I grab a couple mini "cakes" of each flavor and I'm ready.
Flavors I always make like this: choc w/vanilla icing and Dreamsicle.

I'll also have a unfilled choc, vanilla, maybe red velvet... and a few icings and fillings on the side.

Mine's not fancy, but it's a lot simpler now...
Here's a photo of my 1st couple tastings. The 3rd time I had it down....
You'll learn what works for you. icon_smile.gif

Best of luck~ keep us posted!
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%