Please Help Buttercream !!! No One Wants To Reply

Decorating By RetiredNavyChief Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 5:14pm by RetiredNavyChief

RetiredNavyChief Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 6

Okay I think i know what happened but could use some advice. I am frosting my cakes for a wedding cake i have due friday. I use sugarshacks recipe. When i get to the part of using the paper towel and fondant smoother my icing seams to want to go to the bottom of the cake. I think i may have had it to thick, also maybe I tried to cover the cardboard circle and air got up in it. Anyway i had to take the icing off because my cakes settled and the measurements were way off. I am going to let them all set tonight and frost tomorrow evening. Any advice? Please this is my first wedding cake!

5 replies
lilyanddayne Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 6

I have found that if I apply too thick, it could go to the bottom of the tier. The easiest way to smooth out the CRUSTED buttercream is by the melvira method. The sponge paint roller is the best tool I own. After you do the crumb coat, you could chill the cake in the fridge. That seems to help also. Good luck.

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 6

If you are using the Sugarshack method, write her and see if she has any suggestions -- she's very helpful that way. icon_biggrin.gif

Uniqueask Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 6

Sugar shack will be on vacation I can't remember the days she said you may want to check her site to see when it is, www.sugaredproductions.com

Cakerer Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 6

I don't understand what you said about covering the cardboard circle? Were you trying to push the icing down to cover it? If so, why not just pipe a bead border or something to cover it that way. Also, is it possible you were using too much pressure to smooth your BC? I don't have much advice - I'm a MMF fan b/c I can never get BC smooth..

RetiredNavyChief Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 6

Sugar shack answered my PM. Thanks for all of the advice. I think i did have it on to thick and maybe pushed to hard. What i meant by covering the cardboard was i took the icing all the way down past it. Yes there is a boarder once i put it on the board. Well hopefully making it thicker with PS and not pushing so hard will help. I am giving it another try tonight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%