Cake For A Topsy Turvy

Decorating By kellylynn322 Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 7:34pm by kellylynn322

kellylynn322 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellylynn322 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 5

Hello Everyone. I am new to the whole cake thing and appologize if this is common knowledge or listed somewhere that I just can't seem to find.

My question is I am seeing tips for the turvy cakes say "dense cake", what cakes are these? Are there cake recipes that work better than other for holding the weight of the upper tiers?

Any help would be appreciated.

4 replies
sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 5

Pound cake would be considered a dense cake. I have used scratch mixes and boxed cake mixes for all tiers of my topsy turvies and I've never had a problem. I wouldn't, however, use a sponge-style cake on the bottom of a topsy turvy just bc it's so light/springy and would be easy to crush.

sambugjoebear Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 5

Pound cake would be considered a dense cake. I have used scratch mixes and boxed cake mixes for all tiers of my topsy turvies and I've never had a problem. I wouldn't, however, use a sponge-style cake on the bottom of a topsy turvy just bc it's so light/springy and would be easy to crush.

sambugjoebear Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 5

kellylynn322 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellylynn322 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks, I truly appreciate the response.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%