Airbrush A Chainlink Fence Pattern

Decorating By NolansMom Updated 11 Nov 2013 , 1:08pm by sachin0990

NolansMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NolansMom Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 6

Anyone have any ideas on how to airbrush so it looks like a chainlink fence. I am doing a "UFC" cake for this weekend for my hubby's bday, and the fight night. It going to be shaped like an octagon, and i want to airbrush it black, but leave a chainlink pattern grey, the base fondant colour. Thanks everyone!

Edited: Just had another idea as well, would the Wilton silver dust show up on a black cake??? If it does I could paint the pattern on, any ideas to make it easier tp paint the pattern??

5 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 6

try tulle fabric (that stiff netting)

check at fabric store, they may have one with large enough thread gauge you can warp around the cake tightly then airbrush. It would leave the pattern you need when removed.

OR

if you have the time (and the patience)
use an image such as this one: http://product-image.tradeindia.com/00147403/b/0/Chain-Link-Fencing.jpg
to make a stencil (will require lots of cutting)

OR

if have some chicken wire -- close enough to pass for chain link. would wrap it around the cake like the tulle and airbrush.

----
dust should show up.

60 degree drafting triangle (or stiff piece of cardboard with 60 degree cut side) held up against side of could be guide to follow while painting.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 6

If you need something big, you can use the nylon netting off a Butterball turkey.

Otherwise, go with the nylon netting or tulle that Doug mentioned.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 6

I agree tulle or chicken wire...Im doing one on the 25th...I had thought of putting the logo of UFC on the cake...and then getting melted candy choc...on wax paper and piping out a fence, and using some sort of candy sticks as the posts...wrapping it around the cake...not sure yet.

My son the expert on UFC...he is 28yrs old TODAY!!!!! cant see hiim Military...says I have to write also TAP OUT on the cake...its part of it. lol...post ur pic. when your done.

NolansMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NolansMom Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, not sure which route i will go yet.
I would post a pic but it is not going to be anything spectacular, just a black cake with fence pattern and UFC logo. I have newborn (8weeks old) Twins and a 3 Year old, so I don't have much time to do cakes. My husband is lucky he is getting one at all LOL. I will be lucky if I even get to the pattern, it may jest be a black octagon!! LOL
Thanks for your help everyone.

Does anyone know if the Wilton silver pearl dust shows up on black???

sachin0990 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sachin0990 Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 6
Very useful information. Thank you for sharing it.
Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%