Fondant Covered Cake In Frig?

Decorating By tootsie927 Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 7:02am by LillyLou

tootsie927 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootsie927 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 4

Hello All,
I just finished watching Cake Boss and noticed that all the fondant covered cakes are put in the frig, I thought that was a no no. Has anyone refrigerated a cake covered in fondant?
Thanks

3 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:48am
post #2 of 4

I always refrigerate my cake without having any problems. Even ganache covered cakes under fondant.

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:18am
post #3 of 4

I think it really depends upon where you live and how much humidity you have to deal with. I refrigerate every single one of my cakes after applying fondant and I never have any issues...I live in a desert however.

LillyLou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyLou Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:02am
post #4 of 4

I refrigerate all my fondant covered cakes. I made a 3 tier cake for my niece last August for her and my birthday and had to drive it 6 hours to Jacksonville, FL from Montgomery, AL and had some of the fondant tear around the top of the 2 larger tiers and slide down some. The cakes were in the back of my car and of course it's hotter than you-know-what in the south in August but I kept my AC running on high constantly and stopped at the Florida Welcome Center to run to the bathroom and it still messed up. However, I can't remember if I had made MMF or used Fondariffic. I had kept the cake under refrigeration at home prior to leaving and hoped it would retain some coolness but it sure didn't.

I've never had any bleeding or running after refrigeration. I've always been afraid to leave any cake that has been crumb coated or 'dirty iced' with frosting that has a perishable ingredient in it. This never got covered in the culinary school I went to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%