Cake Boss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 4:49pm by PinkZiab

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:08pm
post #31 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin

And then he threw the ENTIRE bottom tier in the trash from the first cake when there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with it - if you were so crunched for time and needed to redo the ENTIRE thing wouldn't you use the any piece that was salvagable

YES! And does it seem odd to anyone else that they had enough cake, unfrozen (since the frozen cake was an issue in another episode!) to completely redo that huge (or "uge") cake?!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:08pm
post #32 of 147

Reading how y'all imitate the show is cracking me up! This is very entertaining this moring!

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:10pm
post #33 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrig007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_sopranos_ebony_girl

txnonnie
I heard that !!! That is all that I'm saying ... and please don't even get me started on the roulet table cake for the "Boss" at the "SOCIAL CLUB" !!!
Buddy was acting as if he cake didn't come out right he would somehow end up being "WHACKED" !!!

Do not get me wrong ... Buddy and his staff are incredibly talented ... I love a close knit family ... But stop the bad acting and just stick to making wonderful, gorgeous cakes !!! icon_sad.gif

I agree 1000%! That "Social Club" cake storyline was right out of The Godfather.
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but . . . I liked Buddy better when he was just on the Cake Challenges. There's too much acting and the acting isn't good on this show. There's always some drama that seems unbelievable to me. Duff has drama sometimes too but it doesn't seem as "staged" as Buddy's. Maybe he'll get better next season but right now the Drama Llama is making me want to tune out more often than I tune in.

Amen to that !!! Lol I was like huh ? icon_rolleyes.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:11pm
post #34 of 147

Wow. A lot of backseat drivers on here, dont ya think?

I love buddy. It's so much better than Ace of Cakes, which is completely commercialized now. I don't think their cakes are even that great anymore. I do not think that anything is staged. I think that Buddy really does handle his staff that way, and he gets things done, so he must be doing something right. I also think that the sweet 16 cake fell because of the tap & tilt that happened on the stairway. It hit pretty hard, in an angle. It makes sense that it fell. AND, there are lots of reasons why they may not have wanted to use an elevator. Maybe it was full with one of their other 30 + cakes. Maybe it is further from the delivery van and they wanted the quickest route. Whatever. I don't think they are faking anything.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:13pm
post #35 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirlcantuck

I agree with the comments about the dowel and the elevator. Besides those cakes are too heavy to carry down all those stairs.

The first thing I noticed when the cake fell was there was no center dowel in the cake! I do love the show and Buddy and his staff can really decorate some beautiful cakes! Buddy makes the most beautiful roses I've ever seen!

hope_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope_1 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:13pm
post #36 of 147

I too can't stand hearing the word Fondawnt!!! And now I have brides coming to me saying it too. Sheesh!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:13pm
post #37 of 147
Quote:

I agree with the comments about the dowel and the elevator. Besides those cakes are too heavy to carry down all those stairs.

The first thing I noticed when the cake fell was there was no center dowel in the cake! I do love the show and Buddy and his staff can really decorate some beautiful cakes! Buddy makes the most beautiful roses/flowers I've ever seen!

hope_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope_1 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:15pm
post #38 of 147

I too can't stand hearing the word Fondawnt!!! And now I have brides coming to me saying it too. Sheesh!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:18pm
post #39 of 147

I do not speak French, but I'm guessing the "fon-DAWNT" pronunciation is French.
As for "YOUS" being used as plural for "you"----yep, it's a NY-NJ area thing. I live here and it cracks me up, too. I have friend who does it unknowingly. Guess they missed the lesson on pluralization in school.

mandysue Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:22pm
post #40 of 147

I'm sorry if I seem mean-spirited. I do want to say that I think Buddy is a very nice, big-hearted person, I love his family, and his business is fantastic! The cakes are really impressive and I wish them much continued success! However, I am convinced that much of the drama is staged and would enjoy the show more without it.

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:23pm
post #41 of 147
Quote:

Mandysue: I like to watch Amazing cakes too. I love to pick up little techniques that will hopefully help me get better and one day appear on TV. I was shocked to see two of the bakers from the firs series split and are now on thier own. (NY and LA) Can't think of their names right now.

The one from New York was previously in partnersip with a more conservative woman and it was called The Cake Altier now she has a new staff and is called Cake Alchemy icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:24pm
post #42 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_sopranos_ebony_girl

I understand that reality shows are sometimes pumped up with more drama than it needs to be ...
However if anyone saw last nights episode are we really to believe that the Super Sweet Sixteen cake under normal circumstances would not have had a dowel hammered down the center of it ?
This guy has been on Food Network Challenges and obviously knows his way around a kitchen ... thumbsdown.gif

Even my husband who has never made a cake himself, just watched me here and there, bits and peices...said the exact same thing. The first thing out of his mouth was, "come on, you mean to tell me that cake would just fall off like that. Why wouldn't they have dowel in it!" Even to his untrained eye he thought it was fake. We still LOVE the show, but the recent shows have made us think maybe it's not all it seems to be. I still love watching, but now i take everything that happens with a grain of salt. Oh well, that's tv for ya.

mandysue Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:25pm
post #43 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

As for "YOUS" being used as plural for "you"----yep, it's a NY-NJ area thing. I live here and it cracks me up, too. I have friend who does it unknowingly. Guess they missed the lesson on pluralization in school.

Thanks! I can move past it now!! I always say "you guys" even if I'm not addressing guys, so I'm sure that's equally annoying, and more syllables than "you's!" Heck, maybe I'll start saying it!!

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:25pm
post #44 of 147

I do like that he tries to make everything edible. There was one episode that he even said that he tries to really make everything in his cakes, cake. He said the SOME PEOPLE tend to use a lot of styrofoam/inedible elements in constructing their cakes (hmmmm - wonder who he's talking about?!!?! icon_lol.gif ) So that part I do like!!

And I didn't get the big deal about the frozen cakes either - what's it take like 10 mins for those puppies to thaw enough to carve? I've never had to let any frozen cake sit out for HOURS before I could carve it......

.....just saying icon_biggrin.gif

Andreas_Cakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andreas_Cakes1 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:26pm
post #45 of 147

Talking about the roulet table, how about the episode where the bridezilla squeazed buttercream all over her cake a day before her wedding. Horrible acting! That show lost kudos in my book for that. When I saw that, I couldn't believe they were trying to pass that off as real. I love the show because of how the cakes come out, other than that, I don't think I would watch it.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:35pm
post #46 of 147

ok...not in a bad mood here or anything, BUT....why does everyone have to down tv shows about cakes? so duff uses styrofoam and wood. so buddy didnt dowel the cake. MAYBE, just maybe, one of his newer staffers stacked the cake and he just assumed it was doweled before he decorated it. just my opinion here. i like duff, would love to meet him. i also like buddy. cake challenges, or his own show. way i see it, they have the $$$ to do these shows, so who am i to complain? as i said, just my opinion. icon_cool.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:49pm
post #47 of 147

My Dh and i actually get a kick out of how they talk..those, "yous people" and "peoples" make us crack up. We think its so funny. I really like the 'big' guy that talks like that..his name is mauro, i think. If i got paid for everytime my husband repeated the word..fondaaaawant during the show, i'd be rich. We laugh so much...for some weird reason he cracks up everytime buddy says 'dirty ice' too. If anything, its wonderful to watch a show about cakes WITH my husband and laugh all the way through. drama and all we love it.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:57pm
post #48 of 147

Not to get off track, but where and when does "Amazing Wedding Cakes" air? I have never heard of this show, but would love to add it to my DVR list!

mandysue Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:00pm
post #49 of 147

"Dirty Ice:" new term for me! And it sounds so DIRTY! LOL! Love it!

Hey, I figure if it's on TV, it's free game for me to comment on! These decorators are obviously talented or they wouldn't be on television. I'm certainly not questioning that! But, when you accept that paycheck from the network, you open yourself up to criticism and sell your soul a little bit.

I'm just having fun commiserating with fellow CC'ers about a little TV show. Good, clean fun!

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:03pm
post #50 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarMomma

Not to get off track, but where and when does "Amazing Wedding Cakes" air? I have never heard of this show, but would love to add it to my DVR list!

It airs on Sunday Nights at 10pm EST on the WE Channel ... icon_smile.gif

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:06pm
post #51 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjess819

ok...not in a bad mood here or anything, BUT....why does everyone have to down tv shows about cakes? so duff uses styrofoam and wood. so buddy didnt dowel the cake. MAYBE, just maybe, one of his newer staffers stacked the cake and he just assumed it was doweled before he decorated it. just my opinion here. i like duff, would love to meet him. i also like buddy. cake challenges, or his own show. way i see it, they have the $$$ to do these shows, so who am i to complain? as i said, just my opinion. icon_cool.gif

I think b/c we all can relate to each other here. I don't think we're "complaining" just "relating" to the truths or mistruths of it all. Most cake muggles don't necessarily realize the ins and outs of cake decorating so therefore they wouldn't know about dowels and freezing cakes and styrofoam! I think we all have a place to come and discuss shows like these and the inaccuracies we pick up on just b/c we can. I don't mean any harm by it and I'm sure most people on here don't either. When I watch other shows about things I have no clue about I'm sure others out there who are in that field or have extended knowledge of that subject could do the same thing we do and pick apart different things that may or may not be legit! I wouldn't know, not my expertise, but I'm sure other's do! I would probably just take whatever they say to be somewhat of the truth even if it just was meant to be entertaining and twisted a pit for the drama of it all.....Reality TV - is most of it even "Real" at all? No, but it's pretty entertaining if you ask me! I'll continue to watch the show I just happen to know that not all of it is completely 100% for real!

He and his staff do make Amazingly beautiful cakes!! And like I said I do enjoy the fact that he does try to make it all edible!!

I have met Duff, I've even met his staff (on seperate occasions) and had a cake made for me from CCC. He's an awesome guy - they all are. He was nice to my kids, took pictures and all and was a great person to talk to. His staff was helpful and great to work with. But I would be the first to say that I didn't particularly care for the taste of the cake and I know others personally who say the same, doesn't mean I'll stop watching him, doesn't mean I still don't think he's a great person. I love him and would be excited all over to meet him again. I have a little cake crush on him so I would be beside myself to meet him again!

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:10pm
post #52 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandysue

"Dirty Ice:" new term for me! And it sounds so DIRTY! LOL! Love it!

Hey, I figure if it's on TV, it's free game for me to comment on! These decorators are obviously talented or they wouldn't be on television. I'm certainly not questioning that! But, when you accept that paycheck from the network, you open yourself up to criticism and sell your soul a little bit.

I'm just having fun commiserating with fellow CC'ers about a little TV show. Good, clean fun!

mandysue I could not possibly agree with you more !!!
Well said !!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:13pm
post #53 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjess819

I don't think the people in this thread are really jumping on Buddy. I take it more as a criticism of the show itself. There does always seem to be something staged on each episode. I'm sure Buddy and the other people at Carlo's Bakery are doing what the people behind the cameras are telling them to do. The show would be better if it was more believable, but I don't think anybody here is blaming Buddy for it. I doubt he has much creative control with the show.

Andreas_Cakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andreas_Cakes1 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:24pm
post #54 of 147

I agree, like I said. I love the way the cakes come out, obviously I like watching the show. I think we can all just relate and we like discussing the negatives and the positives that we see. I mean, I too have my own small business and someday hope my kids help me run it. I just think we all like talking about it. There's no harm there.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:28pm
post #55 of 147

I watched one episode and decided this was NOT a cake show I was interested in watching. Too much about personal stuff and relationships rather than the actual cake construction and artistry. I get my daily dose of drama from "Days of Our Lives", don't want to see it in a show that is suppose to be about cakes.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:31pm
post #56 of 147

The only thing I like about Cake Boss is that I think they actually show more details on how they make things than Ace of Cakes. On the other hand, I think they stage too much drama....alot of the accidents, like the fondant peeling off in transit or the cake falling down the stairs, was just too obviously staged, and too "neatly" wrecked for it to be an accident! For those of us who know what a real cake accident should look like. haha.

Overall its not my favorite show.

Actually this is not caking, but I totally love Chopped! Its one of my new favs..... thumbs_up.gif

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:31pm
post #57 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustcakes

I think on the two cakes in one day, what happened is the two orders got switched...which would make sense...I don't know if it's staged...I know my house is full of drama, especially when I am keyed up about something and nervous, my family follows suit....The kids get emotional, my husband starts yelling, etc...You ought to see us on Sunday morning trying to get everyone to church on time!!! LOL!!

The one I saw was not switched. Neither cake was for either of those customers...both cakes for completely different customers.

Reneaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reneaz Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:42pm
post #58 of 147

Cakesdivine - I totally agree. It's just too darn crazy/noisy/frantic for me (gives me a headache!)! I love the cakes he makes, but can't take all the drama and staging. I swear the guy at the top of the stairs TILTED that cake up so it would fall! (and like others said--there's an ELEVATOR, hello!!) I think it's obvious every single show is staged. It's like a little play!
I didn't care for Ace of Cakes (wanted to see more realistic, "normal" cakes) and had hoped Cake Boss would be the perfect alternative.
I can't handle it any more. (Wish I got the channel Amazing Wedding cakes airs on!)

Reneaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reneaz Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:47pm
post #59 of 147

Cakesdivine - I totally agree. It's just too darn crazy/noisy/frantic for me! I love the cakes he makes, but can't take all the drama and staging. I swear the guy at the top of the stairs TILTED that cake up so it would fall! (and like others said--there's an ELEVATOR, hello!!) I think it's obvious every single show is staged. It's like a little play!
I didn't care for Ace of Cakes (wanted to see more realistic, "normal" cakes) and had hoped Cake Boss would be the perfect alternative.
I can't handle it any more. (Wish I got the channel Amazing Wedding cakes airs on!)

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:47pm
post #60 of 147

I love watching and enjoy all the shows, Buddy's, Duff's and Amazing Wedding Cakes....but I have to say, I do learn little more about doing some things from Buddy's show....and if you are reading this Buddy, please show more thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

I know it is not a teaching show, but I like the entertainment and if I can pick up some new tips, tricks and learning some thing I didn't know, then I'll watch it icon_biggrin.gif .

Like, when he was showing and talking about doing the ivy leafs (the dove wedding cake). Also liked seeing and learning about some of the other things they bake in the shop. Staged, editing, acting....I don't care, I enjoy seeing all the cakes icon_lol.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%