Cake Boss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 4:49pm by PinkZiab

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:38pm
post #121 of 147

I grew up with italians and believe me thats just the way they are, maybe thats why it doesnt bother me. My great uncle(italian) was just over to my uncles cottage this past weekend and brought spaghetti sauce. He told my cousins wife who he has never met before "Get the he** out of my kitchen!" We know he doesnt mean anything by it its just him. I love Buddy and I dont mind him saying fondawnt. My husband and I always watch the show and love it. I have learned so much. For the cake dropping the first thing to come to my mind was why didnt he dowel it. And then my husband mentioned the elevator. Oh well I still will watch the show, it made it interesting!!

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:13pm
post #122 of 147

Funny thing about those "plurals". "Yous" sounds funny to many of us, but I'm sure what we say in Kentucky would sound funny to the rest. In Kentucky, and maybe elsewhere in the south, "y'all" can be singular or plural, but "all y'all" is the preferred plural. I just love dialects and colloquialisms!!

Many thanks to all y'all for your humor and guidance!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:30pm
post #123 of 147

Maybe we can combine regional dialects. What do all yous y'all think?

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:50pm
post #124 of 147

I have watched and loved every episode of Cake Boss. I married into a large Italian family, and trust me that IS how they act. Yes they are loud and boisterous, I think its genetic.

After seeing my father in law turn a table upside down at Sunday dinner,because the gravy (spaghetti sauce to you non Italianos) wasn't to his liking, Buddys' family is nothing new to me at all. The youse and such are NJ expressions, as is his pronunciation of fondant. Each region of the country has different accents, get over it.

Give me a show with a REAL family, real cake and beautiful ones at that any day! You can not stage the love they have for their business and each other.

beenzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenzee Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 3:20pm
post #125 of 147

Gotta say I LOVE Buddy..seems like an all around, down to earth, nice guy. Love seeing how he does the cakes. He shares so many tips and secrets, I learned quite a bit! Love the show..

That said, I know some of it is scripted. Has to be! BUt it has become part of my viewing pleasure! Like when the cake fell..I went back with TIVO and watched it 3 times..to see how the guy tips it purposely. To look for the non existent dowel holding that cake together, etc!!

In the end, it is totally unnecessary, but I have gotten used to it, and still look forward to the show each week!

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:30pm
post #126 of 147

i live close to Philadelphia (particularly South Philly) and have an italian husband and inlaws- very similar!! icon_smile.gif everyone yells and nobody's feelings are hurt. I'm used to the "youse guys"- it's common! icon_smile.gif

buddy goes really nice cakes- i loved watching him on the challenges on the food network.

not to drag this one but it did look like the cake wasn't properly anchored together. oh well, my 4 year old and i got a kick out of watching it over and over and then hearing Buddy say "what did youse guys do?" fantastic!!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:52pm
post #127 of 147

What I dislike most about this show is this:

I believe he is doing a great disservice to the rest of us.

When the bridezilla ruined the original cake, he made her an even BETTER one at the last minute (with no word about charging her for it) - he not only condoned that behavior by not calling her on it, he showed her that throwing such tantrums will benefit her and put her in a better position (she got a larger, more expensive cake). How many brides will think they can disrespect their decorator and get away with it now?

When charities call him at the last minute expecting cakes and he says yes "because it's for the kids"? Well, you know we're going to be inundated with calls for freebies peppered with guilt trips about it being "for the kids" now, right? And the expectations will be greater - no more simple sheet cakes for charities - OH NO! That's not good enough for "the kids"! LOL!

When the multi-tiered cake toppled over and they "whipped up" another one in a matter of hours? Wow... he made what we do look easy! Why should brides call us months in advance if we can produce grand cakes in just hours, right?!?

I think that besides insulting my intelligence, he is harming me in my profession. He is helping perpetuate myths and ideas that harm my business and create a rift between me and my customers because after all - "they do it on TV!", so why can't I? He makes me look amateur for not being able to pull off such 'miracles'.

I like Buddy as a person and I think he is incredibly talented. I have even confessed to having a "chef crush" on him. But I wish he would drop all the manufactured drama and just be himself and that alone would make for an entertaining and successful show.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:52pm
post #128 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennym0904

oh well, my 4 year old and i got a kick out of watching it over and over and then hearing Buddy say "what did youse guys do?" fantastic!!

It was pretty funny. He likes to say that "youse" a lot. Like someone said earlier, it's either a Jersey or Italian thing. But it cracks me up. icon_lol.gif

beenzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenzee Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:57pm
post #129 of 147

Wow, Ohmyganache..I never really thought about all those things. All very valid points!

Heather715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather715 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 5:30pm
post #130 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

What I dislike most about this show is this:

I believe he is doing a great disservice to the rest of us.

When the bridezilla ruined the original cake, he made her an even BETTER one at the last minute (with no word about charging her for it) - he not only condoned that behavior by not calling her on it, he showed her that throwing such tantrums will benefit her and put her in a better position (she got a larger, more expensive cake). How many brides will think they can disrespect their decorator and get away with it now?

Accually, there is a scene where he is on the phone with the Mother of the Bride and she says that she will pay for the first cake and another cake if he will make one. I, personally, would have said "Heck No" and give them the cake that was ruined, but that's what I would have done.
He does make is look easier than it really is, but that's what happens when you are good at what you do and you have to edit a week of work into a half hour TV show. As far as brides thinking you can do things quicker than humanly possible, unfortunatly, there will be no cure for that. We can only be thankful that not everyone is like that.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 5:33pm
post #131 of 147

What fake acting? They aren't actors, they can't act. They're doing their thing the best they can what with the drama I'm sure the director/producers are demanding. You gotta see past the staging to get the entertaining part. I can just see it, the big guy says "hey, we can go out and act like we're trying to catch some white-ish birds" and the producer/director (whoever) saying "yah yah, that'll be good..........go go". Then rubbing hands together thinking "man this is gonna be great!"

Well I watched it and I'll watch it again if I come across it again while surfing. Not saying I'll watch it instead of something better but........ you know. [/b]

cheekymonkey06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheekymonkey06 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 5:45pm
post #132 of 147

This show is more about scripted reality TV dramatics than cake making if you ask me. The last episode where they dumped the cake over.... did anyone catch that they didn't have a dowel going through it? This has probably been covered already... But no decent bakery is going to make a cake of that size without anchoring it down with dowels. It was planned. There are quiet a few reality shows that do this sorta thing. I think Ultimate Wedding cakes does the same thing and it annoys me. I'm more of an Ace of Cakes person - who probably script some of their antics as well, but I love their cakes!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 8:09pm
post #133 of 147

I just watched this episode on my DVR today and guess what I did when I finished? Went to my DVR settings and DELETED the "record this series" option.

This show was the final straw..........this is NOT the representation of the cake baking/decorating business, that I want the general public to have.

It's sad because he is a very talented cake artist..............his show is off the charts silly and staged. thumbsdown.gif

Never watching it again.

Buddy if you're reading this thread...............STAND UP TO THE PRODUCERS AND REPRESENT ALL OF US THE WAY WE DESERVE TO BE REPRESENTED. (yelling "Italian" style) icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. I'd like to know what the heck kind of freezer he used that it was going to take 2 to 3 HOURS to defrost pound cake layers?!! icon_rolleyes.gif Come on............ icon_confused.gif

megal80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megal80 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 9:17pm
post #134 of 147

Cake Boss is entertaining to me! Staged? - YES! A little misleading on what we do? - yeah okay. Will I watch it anyway? Um heck yes! Maybe the rest of you all enjoy the other craptastic shows on TV but I have a hard time finding shows that don't bore me half to death! You go Buddy...and your crazy Italian family!!!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 9:30pm
post #135 of 147

Hey, all "yous" non-Italians, please don't stereotype us. I come from a long line of Italians who communicate through speaking, not yelling. We do yell sometimes (who doesn't?), but yelling is not our main method of communication. (Okay, so we use our hands when we talk!) On another forum, I explained that my ancestors probably came from the quiet part of Italy.
And we don't intimidate, humiliate or embarrass our employees, friends, or other family members just to prove a point. When we get together we're loud, but in a nice, fun way. I don't mean to paint a saintly picture of my family. We're normal.
Are there some Italians who are screamers? Of course, just like there are screamers from everywhere else.
Please don't stereotype. Thanks.

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 9:50pm
post #136 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicol

I like reality tv sometimes, but I don't like to feel like I'm being manipulated. I think the show seems very fake. Buddy should just be himself and not try to play to the camera so much. It's very unsettling. I try to watch for the techniques and for the cake ideas. He is very talentend.

Exactly !!! I so agree ... and again while I understand the need for entertainment value ... please do not play me ...
Not everyone is looking for a "DRAMA" filled show ...
Yes by all means little tiffs here and there that unfold, and the different personalities that come through great understood ... but their is no need to play up to the camera on a "CAKE" show ...

Love to learn and pick up tips and see gorgeous, wonderful cakes ... period !!!
The other shenanigans make it hard to watch !!!

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 9:57pm
post #137 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Oh and an FYI about the center dowel (or lack thereof): Some decorators who use masonite under their tiers (as Buddy does) do NOT use center dowels when it's a basic stacked cake. Each tier is just glued to the tier below with icing (usually royal) and the weight of the masonite is USUALLY enough to keep the cake stable, as long as it's transported correctly. I use masonite, but I drill holes in the center of each so I can have a center dowel, but it's not unheard of to NOT use a center dowel.

Now I agree some of the drama and high comedy aspects seem staged, but I just wanted to point out that the lack of a dowel proves nothing as far as that cake is concerned. I still love Buddy and LOVE this show!

I agree, except in Buddy's case in Food Network Challenges he's done he uses them, so all of a sudden this cake he doesn't ??? Sorry not buying it !!!

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:23pm
post #138 of 147

I love the show, that being said I was dissapiointed when he made the bridezilla a new cake I was mad. The yelling doesn't bother me if I worked with my sister there would be head locks and sugar flying. We work good together most of the time but I can see how the yelling happens.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:36am
post #139 of 147

at first I didn't think the show was staged... but after a few shows (I'm a slow learner) it is so staged. I look forward to Monday nights so I can watch it again.
I wish we could email buddy our entire topic so maybe he can read comments from cakers although maybe the show isn't aimed for real cakers?
I can pick out the real from the fake right away, my dad helps my in my bakery some, not a real caker, and he thinks its all real.
???

love the show, wish it didn't appear so staged!

havnfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havnfun Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:15am
post #140 of 147

This thread is so funny! I have watched the show and so agree with so many points being brought up. The pronunciation issues of fondant and chocolate drive me crazy.
I do like the show but I also think it is totally staged.
Keep on keeping on!

Nickilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickilyn Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:58am
post #141 of 147

The family interaction definitely seems genuine. Too bad that it is not enough for TLC to have a show about a very talented, successful baker with a family run bakery that has been in business for almost a century.

Like Ace of Cakes, I enjoy watching the humor and interaction between the staff but I mainly tune in to learn something new about cake decorating.

Watching Cake Boss--I usually mute or turn the station when they stop focusing on the cakes and start with the drama which I agree with the majority is sooo staged. I don't mean the family drama--that seems very real and relateable (I have a huge family icon_smile.gif )

That last episode with the cake falling--it was definitely deliberate. You could tell that the guy on the top step purposely tilted it to fall over. But the cousin (delivery guy) seemed a bit surprised perhaps he was not in on the scheme.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:11pm
post #142 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickilyn

The family interaction definitely seems genuine. Too bad that it is not enough for TLC to have a show about a very talented, successful baker with a family run bakery that has been in business for almost a century.

EXACTLY!!! When I heard he was having his own show about his family bakery, I was so excited. I thought...........finally a "real life" representation of what we all do and love.

I hate that it's turning into such a "blooper type" of show. I love his work, I just wish we got to see more of it.

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:38pm
post #143 of 147

I really like this show...I know several NY/NJ Italian families that are just like Buddy's family. They are dramatic, loud, abrasive and very big hearted. I know that it is much more drama than I am used to, but in a way, it is entertaining even if badly acted at times. I have to say that I LOVE the cakes they decorate. They are amazing and I learn something new every time I watch it. I thought that the Bridezilla was one of the funniest things ever and I sure hope I never have a client like that one, lol! I also know that I would never want to work for Buddy...that's why it is a family businessicon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:56pm
post #144 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Hey, all "yous" non-Italians, please don't stereotype us. I come from a long line of Italians who communicate through speaking, not yelling. We do yell sometimes (who doesn't?), but yelling is not our main method of communication. (Okay, so we use our hands when we talk!) On another forum, I explained that my ancestors probably came from the quiet part of Italy.
And we don't intimidate, humiliate or embarrass our employees, friends, or other family members just to prove a point. When we get together we're loud, but in a nice, fun way. I don't mean to paint a saintly picture of my family. We're normal.
Are there some Italians who are screamers? Of course, just like there are screamers from everywhere else.
Please don't stereotype. Thanks.

I have both types within my family. We have the dramatic yellers and the quiet ones. I think some of it is regional too. True Italians (meaning from Italy) are not brash and loud. But American Italians from big cities do tend to be in my experience.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:02pm
post #145 of 147

Okay, I had my first person who asked me if I watched the show, then pronounced fondant "fawndawnt" yesterday icon_mad.gif . It was all I could do to keep from correcting her, but what would have been the point? It's like nails on a blackboard, though!

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm
post #146 of 147

[quote="melodyscakes"I wish we could email buddy our entire topic so maybe he can read comments from cakers although maybe the show isn't aimed for real cakers?
I can pick out the real from the fake right away, my dad helps my in my bakery some, not a real caker, and he thinks its all real.
???

love the show, wish it didn't appear so staged![/quote]

Just a little FYI Buddy is a member of Cake Central. He is also my friend on facebook. When he saw the first show, he was taken aback, asking "Do I really sound like that?" I assured him he sounds exactly like that and not to change a thing. His family reminds me of my family that is still in Jersey!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:49pm
post #147 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Okay, I had my first person who asked me if I watched the show, then pronounced fondant "fawndawnt" yesterday icon_mad.gif . It was all I could do to keep from correcting her, but what would have been the point? It's like nails on a blackboard, though!

I guess this doesn't bother me as much as it does everyone else, because having gone to a school full of French and/or French-trained instructors, I'm asused to hearing it pronounced closer to the way Buddy says it (fon-DAHNT, although some of the French chefs would soften or drop the last 't', making it more like fon-DAHN) as I am the other way. I, myself, do say it in the more common, English/American pronunciation of FON-dint, but either way sounds normal to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%