I Won't Let You Jerk Me Around, Not Today Lol (Long)

Business By niccicola Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 2:35pm by cylstrial

niccicola Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 3

I get a phone call last Thursday from a lady. Okay, typical cake order. Then, she mentions how great it is that I live so close to her because she had placed an order with this lady who is 1 1/2 hours away. Great! I'm about 8 minutes away-no delivery charge! She proceeds to tell me the design this other lady came up with and immediately red flags go up because now, the client is expecting me to do the same as what this lady has in mind. Mind you, she's very vague about what she wants and I'm trying to work through to get some details of what this other cake lady has envisioned.

She sends me an email with her napkin colors, a random cake picture from the internet, and one of my cake pictures and a request to scale the cake down because she can't afford my cake prices. I email her back and ask how she wants me to incorporate the 2 very different cake pictures (my retro circle neon cake and a New York City skyline cake) and this napkin which has hot pink, white and black stars with a Sweet 16 princess tiara.

No response. I call her. She calls me. We play phone tag for 2 days. Finally reach her and she said "I'm on vacation in Washington (DC I assume), you know."

Nope, I don't know or want to know your life story, I'm just here to take your order.

"You are the one charging $4 per serving, right"

RED FLAGS

I say yes that's me. "Oh, okay, well I'm deciding which one to go wiith because the other lady is cheaper."

WTF? I thought we were over that! I told her, "I need to know by tonight who you are hiring because I need to bake your cake and get elements that need drying started."

Of course, she goes with the cheaper. It's almost empowering to lose a customer like that because in the end, I'd rather not deal with her if she's trying to bargain for a custom designed cake. She's your problem now, Ms. Baker-That-Charges-Less-Than-What-The-Cake-Costs-To-Make

2 replies
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 3

For sure!

cylstrial Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 3

Just be happy that you did the right thing. I mean what nerve?? To say, oh I'm on vacation in Washington, you know. I'm sorry - did you want the cake on last minute terms or not?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%