Seperate Entrance? Always Necessary?

Business By Tarielena Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 7:28pm by sunny2

Tarielena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tarielena Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 11:40am
post #1 of 6

So I have a perfect room downstairs that I was getting all excited about converting into a cake kitchen. I called the health department (then got transfered to the department of agriculture) to ask some questions. The lady on the phone mentioned that one important thing was to have a seperate entrance to the kitchen. I asked her if that meant it was 100% necessary and there was NO way around that and she didn't really give me an answer, just something about having someone come inspect my plan.

She sent me a packet in the mail with all the information regarding home kitchens and it said again that a seperate entrance is required.

Is that game over then? Just like that? The door to the downstairs is only a few feet away when you walk in the front door and we can wall it off downstairs and put a door in to block off the rest of the downstairs.

Also, does anyone know off hand if being downstairs is an issue? It didn't say anything in the packet, but I didn't specifically ask on the phone.

I live in Grand Rapids, MI for reference.

5 replies
Tarielena Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 11:44am
post #2 of 6

Ew double post, sorry! Please reply in the other one to keep everything together.

Tarielena Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 11:48am
post #3 of 6

Ew double post, sorry! Please reply in the other one to keep everything together.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 6

In my state, one of the requirements for having a commercial kitchen is that there must be a separate entrance, but my state also has cottage food licensing, which does not require a separate entrance. Does your state have a cottage food law? For your question, I'd call again directly into the health department and as specifically if you have no separate entrance if there is absolutely no way to be licensed then. Hopefully it works out for you. Good luck!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 6

There is someone else on here that has a kitchen in her basement. I don't think it matters that it's in your basement, so long as it has a separate entrance if that's required.

sunny2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunny2 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 6

According to everything I have been told by licensed people here (I live in MI), the Dept. of Agriculture requires a seperate entrance. Everything is up to individual interpretation by the inspector, however. Some inspectors are more picky than others so the fact that you can wall off your entrance may be okay with your inspector. All you can do is before you do any construction make an appointment with your inspector to talk about your plans. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%