How Is This "silk Print" Duplicated On This Cake (

Decorating By drakegore Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm by tonedna

drakegore Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:09am
post #1 of 17

i love (LOVE) this cake by the sugar diva:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/berylbyrd/3371276707/

i am trying to figure out how she duplicated the silk print on her cake...
handpainted fondant panels? i think no because the patterning is to perfectly regular?
stencils? i think no because the patterning appears flat.
some sort of printer?
ok, that's all i got for ideas, lol. anyone?

thanks!
diane

16 replies
Elise87 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:28am
post #2 of 17

I agree that's a lovely cake but i am stumped too. I don't think it is painted on either because can you paint white onto coloured fondant? I have always wondered about that. If anyone knows if there is anything like an edible paint that is white that can be painted on fondant i would love to know.

Anyhoo i am thinking maybe it is an edible image but not sure

GenGen Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:29am
post #3 of 17

i'm thinking its those chocolate wrap pannels.

miny Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:39am
post #4 of 17

I believe it's hand painted!

panipuri Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:16pm
post #5 of 17

It seems to be a frosting sheet that is printed and wrapped around. You can almost see the sheet towards the top edge.
I may be wrong though.

grama_j Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 17
minicuppie Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 17

Pretty, isn't it? Transfer.

GenGen Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 17

i did some searching and found a sketch by that cake artist giving a description as to what this is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/berylbyrd/3369617064/

tonedna Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:33pm
post #9 of 17

That looks like edibles to me..the same reason why she has bands of fondant going down that hide the seams.
Edna icon_smile.gif

drakegore Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:36pm
post #10 of 17

so based on the sketch, the panels are fondant; so this means it is not a chocolate transfer sheet right? (they don't work on anything but chocolate,correct?).

what is an "edible"? is that like printing on rice paper? then the image is adhered to the fondant?

last question: how would i go about getting this done if i cannot afford to buy the printer itself? or would i be just outa luck icon_smile.gif?

thank you all!
diane

beachcakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:36pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

That looks like edibles to me..the same reason why she has bands of fondant going down that hide the seams.
Edna icon_smile.gif

i agree with edna! That's an edible image. she used gold bands to hide the seams. It might be purchased, or she may have scanned the fabric and printed on EI paper.

GenGen Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:18pm
post #12 of 17

maybe try contacting the artist through the link posted in the first post and asking here there? i'm not sure if it will work or not but worth a try perhaps? hth!

all4cake Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:41pm
post #13 of 17

beryl byrd uses edible images with a lot of her cakes...remember her on one of the wedding cake challenges using them for her stained glass look...

PinkZiab Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:44pm
post #14 of 17

No doubt in my mind that it's done with edible images.

drakegore Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:49pm
post #15 of 17

i remember that episode! i did not realize that was her!

gengen - i just sent her an email, but i felt awfully cheeky asking icon_smile.gif. we'll see if she answers.

so basically, if this is an edible image, if i don't have the printer set up, i cannot do this, right? or are there places where i could have the artwork i need created onto a sheet? probably costs and arm and a leg, aaaargh....

i know how they work with buttercream, but how does one use this type of image on fondant?

thank you!
diane

GenGen Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 7:03pm
post #16 of 17

i wouldn't worry too much, some artists like to keep things to themselves but some are happy to share tips and methods etc, hope you find what you need!

tonedna Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

i remember that episode! i did not realize that was her!

gengen - i just sent her an email, but i felt awfully cheeky asking icon_smile.gif. we'll see if she answers.

so basically, if this is an edible image, if i don't have the printer set up, i cannot do this, right? or are there places where i could have the artwork i need created onto a sheet? probably costs and arm and a leg, aaaargh....

i know how they work with buttercream, but how does one use this type of image on fondant?

thank you!
diane

The edibles work the same way in fondant as in buttercream. Some supermarket will print it for you..But you have to find who will.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%