Where Do I Go From Here?

Business By HoHo5 Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 1:44pm by mommy1st

HoHo5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HoHo5 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:52am
post #1 of 5

I have been working with a partner for sometime now.
We started out just doing cookies and then I started taking Wilton classes. I just fell in love with cake decorating.
My partner never liked the cake end of things and is backing out to follow other interests.
I'm cool with it because I want her to follow her passions like I'm following mine.
Problem is where do I go from here.
I'm really not supposed to work out of my home.
Don't want to work at a local grocery store.
Don't have the money to start my own shop.
Should I put a portfolio together and go to different bakeries and see if they need part time help?
( My main job is stay at home mom to 3 beautiful boys! icon_lol.gif )
I worry I'll be stuck base icing all day, maybe the cake pictures would show what I can do.
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
I love this so much and enjoy bringing in a little money to help out my family.
I don't want to have to give it up!

4 replies
shadowcat1501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowcat1501 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:21am
post #2 of 5

I can't tell you what to do as I am a newbie here, but I've taken a look at some of your cakes and would hate to see you stuck doing base icing all day. You have way too much talent for that! Good luck to you whatever you choose to do.

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:56am
post #3 of 5

Is there any where that you can rent a legal kitchen part time? Or maybe ask a church if you would be able to use their kitchen? What if you got a very part time job just to pursue your cake decorating. I know you want to stay home with your boys, but maybe doing this very part time would still allow you to follow your dream and then when your boys are grown... you can do this more full time.

I wish you the best of luck. I know it is frustrating when you find something you want to do... and you can't do it!

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 5

Can you make free cakes for family and friends? I know they probably don't have birthdays everyday, but start lining those up.

If you want to do the paid cake thing, then, it looks like your only option is to work for a bakery or open your own.

mommy1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy1st Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 5

Working at a grocery store will help you learn to pick up speed. Their main outlook is how much you can put out. See if you can find a bakery hiring, it will teach you more than a grocery store. Some bakeries only need extra help on the weekends. Any experience you can get will help you later on if you do make the leap to having your own shop. Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%