Experienced With Fondant? Please Help!

Decorating By DianaC31 Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 3:00am by CarrieBear

DianaC31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaC31 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:48am
post #1 of 5

I took the Wilton courses and used the Wilton fondant. I recently made 2 cakes and wanted something that tasted better so tried Satin Ice. It seems to be soft and hard to work with. Was much harder to cut shapes - shapes stretched when picked up and got a wierd "skin" on them. There were some cracks on the cake. Also - made my first attempt to make stars on wire shooting out of cake and the fondant was so soft that the wires kind of "settled" and left holes in the cake. The fondant seems to stretch after I cover the cake and cut it and I need to go back and cut it again. I made a blues clues cake and I used the Wilton to cut out Blue because the Satin Ice was impossible.

Is it just my inexperience? Does anyone have any advice to offer? Is there any other fondant you can recommend that tastes decent and provides great results?

4 replies
raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:58am
post #2 of 5

My favorite is Michele Foster's white chocolate variation. It works so great for any application, from covering cakes to mixing 1/3 gumpaste 2/3 mff for flowers or 3d figures. I like how well it handles. I've used Satin Ice and it was a little softer than I'm used to and mmf is good too but I like the flavor and just the smell of the white chocolate (I use the white choc macadamia nut creamer as the liquid icon_biggrin.gif ) hth

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:59am
post #3 of 5

Look up Michell Foster's fondant on here in the recipe section. Its soooo good when you add white chocolate and use flavored coffee creamer for the liquid. Plus its easy to make and easy to work with. Every single one of my fondant cakes are made with it.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:59am
post #4 of 5

Look up Michell Foster's fondant on here in the recipe section. Its soooo good when you add white chocolate and use flavored coffee creamer for the liquid. Plus its easy to make and easy to work with. Every single one of my fondant cakes are made with it.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:00am
post #5 of 5

there are some good home made fondant recipes, like marsh mallow fondant out there that taste great and are easy to make and you can add your own flavorings and extracts to customise the taste

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%