Painting Over Buttercream

Decorating By momsbakery Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 6:06pm by aligotmatt

momsbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsbakery Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:26am
post #1 of 9

I´ll be making my first wedding cake this fall.
The bride wants the cake in the picture but it looks like fondant. The question is, can I paint this silvered strips all over a bc frosted cake and even carry the fondant drape with the jewelry.
It there a kind of edible jewels
Thanks 4 your advice!!
LL

8 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 9

I'm curious, too, about painting on BC. Here's a bump.

Shirlcantuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shirlcantuck Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 9

What a beautiful cake. I am curious about the jewels too. I often wonder how to make the paints as well. I always use the gel based wilton paints and mix with water. I have never painted directly on bc so don't know if that would work. Paint never turns out quite right.

Shirlcantuck Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 9

What a beautiful cake. I am curious about the jewels too. I often wonder how to make the paints as well. I always use the gel based wilton paints and mix with water. I have never painted directly on bc so don't know if that would work. Paint never turns out quite right.

Shirlcantuck Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 9

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 9

I would be suprised if those gems were not edible...you could make some out of poured sugar and silcone molds, then paint them.

Not sure about painting on bc? would be interested to find out how that works out.

It is a pretty cake - Cake Boss does alot of that draping.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 9

To paint on buttercream you need to let it crust really well. Use a platinum or luster dust with vodka to make a paint. paint your stripes on.

For the borders, you can pipe a line of Royal Icing and sprinkle it with disco dust. OR roll out a fondant snake and wet it and put the disco dust on that, use that for borders.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

To paint on buttercream you need to let it crust really well. Use a platinum or luster dust with vodka to make a paint. paint your stripes on.

For the borders, you can pipe a line of Royal Icing and sprinkle it with disco dust. OR roll out a fondant snake and wet it and put the disco dust on that, use that for borders.

What is disco dust? I have pearl dust, luster dust and shimmer, but have never heard of disco dust. Is that more like the sugar sparkle sprinkles?

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 9

It's more sparkly. you know shimmer and luster dust just kind of give it a shimmery affect, the disco is more like glitter, but it's smaller than regular glitter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%