First Time Square Wedding Cake ( How To Dvd)

Decorating By Kookie Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 9:20pm by Kookie

Kookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookie Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:34am
post #1 of 42

I am going to make my first time square wedding cake.
It is going to be butter cream frosting with silk ribbons around,No boarders.
So I can't hide the mess between the tiered. icon_surprised.gif
I would like to know "how to"
I know sugarshack has DVD for how to stack up the cakes.
Do they show how to stack up square cakes?
What do you think about her DVD?
thanks.

41 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:48am
post #2 of 42

i have all of her dvds.. the buttercream one , she shows you how to move the icing on a square cake for sharp corners. she shows this at the end. the dvd shows how to ice and smooth a buttercream cake... it is wonderful.. her stacking one is wonderful.. her fondant one , also. and the topsy turvy.. you would stack a square one like she does the round one.. she is great. and a wonderful teacher. i have just got to master it all also. i don,t make cakes all the time. so i get a little out of practice. but watching her dvd's .. i hope to get there.. hth

Kookie Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

i have all of her dvds.. the buttercream one , she shows you how to move the icing on a square cake for sharp corners. she shows this at the end. the dvd shows how to ice and smooth a buttercream cake... it is wonderful.. her stacking one is wonderful.. her fondant one , also. and the topsy turvy.. you would stack a square one like she does the round one.. she is great. and a wonderful teacher. i have just got to master it all also. i don,t make cakes all the time. so i get a little out of practice. but watching her dvd's .. i hope to get there.. hth

Hi icer101,
I will order it today. THANK YOU.

SweetCakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCakez Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:47am
post #4 of 42

Can you please supply the website for sugarshack? thanks

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:31am
post #5 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookie

......with silk ribbons around,No boarders.
So I can't hide the mess between the tiered.

Wont' the ribbons do that? icon_confused.gif

Kookie Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #6 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

......with silk ribbons around,No boarders.
So I can't hide the mess between the tiered.

Wont' the ribbons do that? icon_confused.gif

Hi indydebi,
How do you drop? or assemble the cake on top of the cake without touching any nice smooth surface Buttercream frosting?
Just do it?
icon_redface.gif
Thanks.

indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:24am
post #7 of 42

I use my icing spatula to set the upper tier in place. Lower the tier into place, then, with an ever so almost imperceptible lift, I slide the spatula out from under th tier. I slide it out on the back side, in case it messes up anything, then the mess-up is in the back. Add the ribbon and the ribbon will cover the gap and any imperfections. But since my fingers are not in the way when I set it in place, there are no smudges or mess-ups.

I have a stacked cake this weekend .... I'll try to get some pics of the steps I do.

Kookie Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:46am
post #8 of 42
Quote:

I use my icing spatula to set the upper tier in place. Lower the tier into place, then, with an ever so almost imperceptible lift, I slide the spatula out from under th tier. I slide it out on the back side, in case it messes up anything, then the mess-up is in the back. Add the ribbon and the ribbon will cover the gap and any imperfections. But since my fingers are not in the way when I set it in place, there are no smudges or mess-ups.

I have a stacked cake this weekend .... I'll try to get some pics of the steps I do.

Hi indydebi,
I AM SOOOO EXCITED TO SEE YOUR HOW TO STACK UP PICS!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I thank you for spending the time and helping for me and CC members.
I am sure CC members will LOVE the pics.
Kookie

Kookie Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:33pm
post #9 of 42
Quote:

Hi indydebi,
Kookie

Kookie Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:55pm
post #10 of 42
Quote:

Hi indydebi,
Kookie

samiam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samiam22 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:16pm
post #11 of 42

indydebi,
Can I ask a question about a stacked square cake? I am about to start putting together a 3 tiered square cake for my neice's wedding. My first wedding cake...I am so nervous...I covered it with the buttercream last night and was going to put fondant on this morning. It is supposed to be three present shaped square boxes. Is seems sooooo heavy already...without the fondant. Do you know if the dowels will support the weight of this thing???
thanks.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:22pm
post #12 of 42

I just did a 4 tier all square cake - I leave the straws up about 1 1/2 inches and then set the next tier on there - gravity takes it down just fine! (and NO finger marks in the cake at all) I also "build up" the corners with some frosting when I crumb coat so that they are nice and crisp.

Here is the pic of it:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1408710

samiam22 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:30pm
post #13 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I just did a 4 tier all square cake - I leave the straws up about 1 1/2 inches and then set the next tier on there - gravity takes it down just fine! (and NO finger marks in the cake at all) I also "build up" the corners with some frosting when I crumb coat so that they are nice and crisp.

Here is the pic of it:

You totally used the straws for all that weight?? I have some bubble tea straws, but I didn't think that they would support it. I also made the cake on a dummy layer,so that the presents would appear really tall ( maybe a big mistake) so I don't think that I can use straws now. What was I thinking!!!

indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:37pm
post #14 of 42

My 5-tier wedding gown cake, that had over 10 lbs of fondant on it, was supported by dowels.

samiam22 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:00pm
post #15 of 42

Thanks everyone...I better just get at it..and cross all my fingers and toes. Thanks for your help

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:45pm
post #16 of 42

samiam - yes, I totally used straws! Each layer is on a foamcore board, the bottom 2 are on 1/2" and the top 2 are on 1/4" - each tier is supported by bubble tea straws - it works out fine!

Kookie Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:35pm
post #17 of 42
Quote:

samiam - yes, I totally used straws! Each layer is on a foamcore board, the bottom 2 are on 1/2" and the top 2 are on 1/4" - each tier is supported by bubble tea straws - it works out fine!

Hello Lousinda,
I have a stupid question for you.
icon_redface.gif
What is foamcores and where do you get?
THANKS.
Kookie

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:46pm
post #18 of 42
Quote:

Here is the pic of it:

Ditto...I use this method for all cakes. Fondant...not so worried about those.

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:49pm
post #19 of 42

to stack the cake you can use the single plate system.. the plastic dowels fit into little feet on the bottom and it hold it level and it will hold the weight with no problem.

Kookie Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:52pm
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:

Here is the pic of it:

Ditto...I use this method for all cakes. Fondant...not so worried about those.

Do you also use straws too?
I just can't believe those straws holds heavy tiered cakes icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif
Kookie

__Jamie__ Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:58pm
post #21 of 42

I use tea (bubble) straws for three tiers or less...above that, I go with SPS. But I know the straws can handle more weight than I am willing to put on them. icon_smile.gif

Kookie Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 5:19pm
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

I use tea (bubble) straws for three tiers or less...above that, I go with SPS. But I know the straws can handle more weight than I am willing to put on them. icon_smile.gif

Hi Jamie,
I am going to make a four tiers so I will do wood dowels or SPS which I have never used before, though..
Do you like SPS? If I use SPS, Is it possible to assemble four tiered cake at home?
THANKS.

__Jamie__ Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 5:27pm
post #23 of 42

I love SPS, I don't use anything I don't have absolute faith and confidence in. Check this out: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

Very helpful!

samiam22 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:08pm
post #24 of 42

Loucinda,
Crazzyyy...those bubble tea straws must be strong. I have just finished decorating,but have not assembled. I am happy with the look but most excited about the custom polymer clay wedding couple that I made that will sit at the front of the cake. I think that I will stack the top tiers with the bubble straws and then put the dowels in the bottom that my poor husband cut last night icon_sad.gif.. I think that I will wait until I get it to the wedding site ,beach wedding ( forecast is now thunderstorms grrrr ) to fully assemble . I am tempted to try now but it still has two moves before it's final destination. This cakin' is crazy!!!

Kookie Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:15pm
post #25 of 42
Quote:

I am going to make my first time square wedding cake.
It is going to be butter cream frosting with silk ribbons around,No boarders.
So I can't hide the mess between the tiered. icon_surprised.gif
I would like to know "how to"
I know sugarshack has DVD for how to stack up the cakes.
Do they show how to stack up square cakes?
What do you think about her DVD?
thanks.

Hello ALL,

I got sugarshack DVD and already watched and learned a lot.
I love her DVD.
Anyway.. She shows how to attach fondant ribbons for round cakes but not silk ribbons for square cakes.
I would like to know how you guys attached silk ribbons on a square cake to get nice ,straight and sharp looking around the corners without smashing?

THANK YOU ALL!

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:30pm
post #26 of 42

I haven't used silk ribbons before, but what about measuring, marking and then ironing the corner in to get the sharp corner look you're going for?

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:43pm
post #27 of 42

I just did a 3 tier square cake with silk ribbon this weekend. Ever since I started using the SPS system there is nothing else I would ever use again! I have not once messed my icing up while stacking either. The cake was delivered about 25 minutes away.. even over a bumpy bridge and it never once shifted/moved. I always deliver fully assembled cakes..

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:47pm
post #28 of 42

One thing that helps me when stacking is putting the layer in the freezer for about 8 min or so & then stacking. You're less likely to smudge the buttercream b/c it's not as soft. You could go ahead & put all of your dowels/straws in each tier & put the layers in the freezer & you'll be ready to rock & roll.

I use SPS which has helped me so much, but when a cake is an odd shape or size & have to use dowels I pop them in the freezer & do as Indydebi described. But I sit there w/ a knot in my stomach the entire time before I "drop" it.

Indydebi, I do have a question. When you are putting 1 tier on top of the next, do you put the edge opposite you down on the cake before lowering it? This is what leaves my biggest smudge

indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:25pm
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Indydebi, I do have a question. When you are putting 1 tier on top of the next, do you put the edge opposite you down on the cake before lowering it? This is what leaves my biggest smudge

I actually took some step by step photos yesterday on doing this. Give me some time to put them together and I'll show you how I do it.

Kookie Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:34pm
post #30 of 42
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

I actually took some step by step photos yesterday on doing this. Give me some time to put them together and I'll show you how I do it.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%