Giving Fondant A Shine

Decorating By susaneholcomb Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 1:25am by mommyandmecakes

susaneholcomb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susaneholcomb Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:50am
post #1 of 11

Does anyone know if you can give fondant a shine.

I made a car this weekend and it really needed to have a lacquer shine to make it realistic, but wasnt sure how to do this or if you even could create that affect.

Any ideas is greatly appreciated.

Susan

10 replies
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:58am
post #2 of 11

I always roll out my fondant on a mat lightly coated with shortening, and that gives it a nice sheen. You could also get the fondant on the cake and then very gently rub it with a small amount of shortening.

Bel_Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bel_Anne Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:03am
post #3 of 11

You could paint it with lustre dust. Just get the same colour lustre dust as your car... you can get red, purple, silver etc, then add a couple of drops of vodka or clear vanilla to. Turns into a paste/paint and creates a metallic effect. Just use an unused, clean paint brush to paint it on. Perfect for a car!

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:05am
post #4 of 11

If you have a steamer you can do that and when the moisture dried it leaves it shiny like patent leather. I don't have a steamer so I just use a water mister to lightly spray it. Don't spray directly though, kind of above it. Hope this makes sense.

Michelle104 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:06am
post #5 of 11

If you have a steamer you can do that and when the moisture dried it leaves it shiny like patent leather. I don't have a steamer so I just use a water mister to lightly spray it. Don't spray directly though, kind of above it. Hope this makes sense.

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:12am
post #6 of 11

Michelle, your sig is hilarious....I have wondered how a steamer works..wouldn't it make the fondant sticky??

Michelle104 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:19am
post #7 of 11

It will make it sticky as will the water mister. Don't touch it or you'll make smudges or fingerprints. Make this the last thing you do and then let it dry. It makes it nice and shiny.

LOL! There are so many days that my siggy line it so so true! icon_lol.gif

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:20am
post #8 of 11

you could possibly use edible varnish, you can search recipes on here for it

Michelle104 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:22am
post #9 of 11

It will make it sticky as will the water mister. Don't touch it or you'll make smudges or fingerprints. Make this the last thing you do and then let it dry. It makes it nice and shiny.

LOL! There are so many days that my siggy line it so so true! icon_lol.gif

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:23am
post #10 of 11

you could possibly use edible varnish, you can search recipes on here for it

mommyandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyandmecakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:25am
post #11 of 11

i put piping gel on black fondant recently to make it look "wet". It really worked and made it very shiny. I will upload the picture now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%