A Funny 4Th Of July Story (Long)

Decorating By Jayde Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 1:59am by sweetsbystacy

Jayde Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 26

So several months ago, a friend's ball bustin mom approaches me about making her daughter's wedding cake. So I put together a folder, like I do for all brides, and give her all of the necessary paperwork, contract, my What Brides Need to Know letter, flavor list, etc. I even drew up a couple of sketches based on what this friend was describing to me as her 'dream cake.'

Basically, I ended up meeting with mom, not friend, who cried poor the entire time. Every other sentence was filled with comments about, "Oh, thats gonna cost a fortune." and "Oh, we dont need to get as many servings as RSVP's cause not everyone eats cake." Now at the end of the consultation, which by the way I met her at a bowling alley on MY time, she tells me that a friend of hers offered to make the wedding cake as a gift, but it wouldnt be nearly as nice as if I did it.

I quoted her a price of $400 to feed 250 guests cake, which was downsized from 300 guests that had RSVP-ed, which was downsized from the 500 freakin people that they had invited! (Dont even get me started on why you cant afford crap when you invite 500 freakin people to your wedding.) icon_eek.gif I told her that I would just charge cost for the cake and that my time would be the gift for the couple.

Fast foward to the wedding, she never contacted me again, nor did I even get invited to her wedding! (Even though the whole family came to mine!) icon_mad.gif I heard the cake not only looked funny, but that it didnt taste very good and that they had a TON left over because no one wanted to eat any, although I figured it was my friends trying to make me feel better.

Now, fast foward again to this past weekend. 4th of July party at my best friend's house, and this girl's whole family came including her mom and dad and new husband. Now the 4th is my husbands birthday and every year I come up with a weird new cake design (something that I have never tried before) to try. This year I made him steaks, big ole honkin T-bone steaks with mashed potato and pea cupcakes. Everyone loved them, and from a distance they looked like real big huge honkin steaks.

Now friend's mom comes in and looks at the platter that these steak cakes were on, and wants to know why my best friend has her DOG TOYS sitting on a platter on the countertop. (She is not known for her subtlety.) It is explained to her that they are cakes, not toys. She refuses to believe it until 2 hours later when they are cut, then proclaiming loudly that "Oh my gosh, those are cakes?? I thought they were DOG TOYS!" Even though she had been told serveral times that they were cakes, not toys.

Everyone gets a piece, they were red velvet, and the new husband (who is from the deep south) raves at how yummy this red velvet cake is, "It's so delicious, This is awesome, etc. etc." He proceeds to eat huge 3 pieces (thank goodness I overbake) and then very loudly, his mouth stuffed full of cake, "Hey Kim, damn this is some good s**t, you shoulda made our wedding cake, cause this is much better than that nasty crap we had at our wedding." (In his defense he was about a 6-pack deep, he usually isnt quite so blunt.) icon_eek.gificon_lol.gificon_surprised.gif

I was shocked, but not as shocked as friend's mom, who sampled a tiny piece of cake and proclaimed it, "ok." Her face turned red, and she shot me a nasty, nasty look and then left the party. I think my cheeks hurt for the rest of the night, cause I couldnt stop grinning.

25 replies
Doug Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 26

LOL -- isn't karma wonderful

I'd hate to be him when the MIL gets him alone!

in2cakes2 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 26

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!! icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

indydebi Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 26

The guy is blunt, direct, and loud with his opinions .... are you surprised when I say......

LUV THAT GUY!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 26

Do you think if he downed another 6 before she left, he would have told her off for getting the crappy freebie instead of your cake? icon_lol.gif

Divine Intervention, if you ask me. Congrats!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

qubanqtee Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 26

hahahaha, I absolutely LOVE IT when pay back comes along!!

Deb_ Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:19am
post #7 of 26

I guess you were one of the guests cut from the original 500 icon_eek.gif Who knows 500 people? I'm completely shocked by THAT.

Don't you love people that cry poverty and then have the nerve to tell you that 300 people r.s.v.p'd? Idiots.

So glad you got the chance to shove that cake in her face...........that's the best part.

Parable Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:42am
post #8 of 26

OMG, icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

What goes around.....comes around! Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!1

aligotmatt Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:54am
post #9 of 26

What a happy 4th! icon_smile.gif That's good stuff.

And Kelly, I totally agree! I say it all the time, I don't even know 500 people. I would have to invite everyone I have ever met and kept in enough contact with and they would all have to bring a date!

I have an August bride who wrote up her guest list and it was over 700 people!?! The venue they chose only holds 300, so she had some major whittling to do. I mean really, 27 years old, her fiance is 26 and they know 700 people to invite? I'm thinking I'm an introvert...

krissycupcakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:55am
post #10 of 26

you know alot of people actually have those kinda weddings in NJ where i work and ill tell you there crazy!!!! But I would have to say get this man a beer and let him tell a story!!!!! you get what you pay for and she got crap!!!!!!! hope she was happy!!!! those dog toys sure do taste grreat!! hehehe

krissycupcakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:56am
post #11 of 26

you know alot of people actually have those kinda weddings in NJ where i work and ill tell you there crazy!!!! But I would have to say get this man a beer and let him tell a story!!!!! you get what you pay for and she got crap!!!!!!! hope she was happy!!!! those dog toys sure do taste grreat!! hehehe

kylekaitlyn Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:02am
post #12 of 26

LOVE it!!!! I know people eventually get what they deserve, but it's just plain fun when you get to actually be there to witness it!!!! Way to go!!! Keep smiling!

costumeczar Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:02am
post #13 of 26

Ahhahahahahahaha!!! I would have paid to see the look on that woman's face! Too good.

djs328 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:06am
post #14 of 26

Awesome...I love it when people get what they deserve, but don't even see it coming! haha!!! Love it!

chassidyg Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:15am
post #15 of 26

I'm lovin it!!! He may have said it without that 6 pack though! I'd love to be a fly on the wall next time his m-i-l sees him!!!!!

chassidyg Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:17am
post #16 of 26

I'm lovin it!!! He may have said it without that 6 pack though! I'd love to be a fly on the wall next time his m-i-l sees him!!!!!

chassidyg Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:18am
post #17 of 26

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:23am
post #18 of 26

LOVE IT!!!

Mensch Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:54am
post #19 of 26

hahaha too funny!

You get what you pay for.

__Jamie__ Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:11am
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

The guy is blunt, direct, and loud with his opinions .... are you surprised when I say......

LUV THAT GUY!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh I want to package him up and send him back in time with a 12 pack to every "tightwad bride with a know it all MIL, SIL, what have you" reception that I didn't make the cake for. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cool.gificon_twisted.gif

Jayde Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 11:44pm
post #21 of 26

Their wedding arrangements were weird. I have known this family for going on 20 years now, and they have never had a ton of money. So how in the world can you invite 500 people to your wedding when you cant afford it?

I just cant fathom some people putting themselves or their parents in debt for a wedding. Sheesh, I can barely remember my wedding, just snippits and pieces. So you know darn well that if you dont invite cousin Jimmy's friend's sister you arent going to remember her being there.

Plus I gave her a heck of a deal, $400 to feed 250 people?? You arent gonna find a deal like that anywhere else, that can do cake like I can, and yes I am bragging.

sari66 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:19am
post #22 of 26

LOL luv that guy!! See just cause it's cheaper doesn't mean you're getting

sari66 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:20am
post #23 of 26

LOL luv that guy!! See just cause it's cheaper doesn't mean you're getting you're money's worth.

GenGen Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:37am
post #24 of 26

lol as they say,out of the mouths of babes.. ok so he's 'a grown but it still kinda counts in regards to our hubbies right? we always count them along with our child count lol

jaybug Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:42am
post #25 of 26

hahaha! Now that's some funny s@/t! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sweetsbystacy Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:59am
post #26 of 26

That's A W E S O M E !!!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%