My First Fondant Cakes.. Advice Needed (Sorry For Large Pix)

Decorating By 4theloveofcake

4theloveofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4theloveofcake Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 1

hey everyone! i self-taught myself to work with fondant, and i thought i would post some pictures in hopes of receiving some constructive criticism.

i'm also in the process of making a 3d pirate ship cake for friday and i thought i would draw some lines in strips of fondant and color with brown gel with vodka or something to achieve the natural wood color. are there any other ideas or techniques that seem to work better? i really want the wood grain impression mat for fondant but i can't get it in time for friday unfortunately.

for the 3d cake that i have to carve, i made a butter cake which is actually pretty heavy and it worked well for the 3 tier wedding cake i made for my brother's wedding... plus it tastes amazing.. like moxie's white chocolate brownie! yummm..

i also want to make figurines for the pirate cake. i made the figurine for the toga party cake i did out of fondant because that was all i had at the time, and i had great difficulty making the arms, legs and head attach to the body. how do i do this without using water because it just doesnt seem to work for me. also, how do you put clothes on a fondant figurine because mine obviously suck haha. icon_biggrin.gif

anyways, any constructive criticism about the cakes i've done and advice for the pirate ship i am currently making would be very much appreciated!

(sorry in advance for the quantity & size of the pictures)

fathers day cake

hockey cupcake

bowling cupcake

stanley cup rice krispy cake

cheeseburger cake

gucci cake

ribbon rose cake (don't mind the sudden ending of one of the brown lines.. i did fill it icon_biggrin.gif

my niece's 4th birthday cake.. bunny going into the cake and coming out of the cake

golf cake

with a 'birdie' on the hole

toga party cake

toga party cake 2

pussycat doll cake

my brother's wedding cake

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%