Bridal Shower Cake Help!

Decorating By percussiongrrl Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 9:59pm by Gingoodies

percussiongrrl Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 2

I finally have my computer back after sending it in for repairs....now I need some help from you wonderful CCers!

My sister's bridal shower is this weekend and I'm doing her cake....I have the decorating plan ready to go....now I'm worried about the cake itself!

I am making a 2-tier cake for this shower, but there's only supposed to be about 20 people there at the most. She wants one tier to be WASC (bottom) and the top tier to be Red Velvet. I have a couple questions about this...

What size tiers do you recommend? I was thinking about an 8in and a 6in tier. I know that is more servings than necessary but I'm afraid that anything else will look "wimpy."

What filling do you recommend for the WASC tier? I have used just buttercream, but I want to make sure her shower cake is really special.

I also need a good (simple!) recipe for the red velvet tiers. I've never made red velvet, as I don't like it, so I don't know what is good. I would prefer either a good box mix or a modified box mix, as I'm always afraid I will screw up a scratch recipe. Baking cakes from scratch scares the crap out of me!

I'm making a freezing my WASC layers today, and planned to do the red velvet layers tomorrow.

Also....how far ahead can I make fondant flowers if I'm using MMF? I have to use fondant as I have never done gumpaste and I'm afraid to do it for the first time on this cake!

1 reply
Gingoodies Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 2

Duncan Hines has a red velvet mix. It's really good in my humble opinion. Use milk instead of water and sift the mix (yes it makes a difference). I think the sizes you want to use will be just fine (who doesn't like a little leftover cake?) LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%