Humid Floida And Shiney Sticky Fondant...

Decorating By forthwife Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 12:24am by GayeG

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 7

I love Florida, but it is becoming the bane of my cake existance! Here is my dillema (any and all advice please). I loathe shortening based icing, so I make my BC with butter and cream cheese which requires refrigeration. Once the cake is covered in fondant it too must be refrigerated. Most people say their fondant gets shiney and then evaporates...but not here! My cakes get shiney then sticky. Any advice, help, thoughts??? Thanks!

6 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 7

I have the same problem, here in La Paz. I find that if the cake is out for a while most of the moisture reabsorbs and the problem is gone. It doesn't change the cake in any way, that I can tell.

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 7

Im right her with ya girl!! Whew - is it ever humid and HOT right now!!
What Ive found is it gets sticky BUT after letting it return to room temp - the sticky dissapears ... BUT thats when the air bubbles start forming because of it coming from cold to hot (even with air conditioning its still hot!!)
Im not sure which is worse! hahaha Sorry, wish I could help - but I can only sympathize!

forthwife Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 7

What a bummer....I'd love to have the matte finish I see everyone else on here with. Maybe we'll move one dayl icon_wink.gif GayeG, how long does it take to have the "sticky" go away? Mine are usually at room temp for 1 hour before serving and they're still sticky. Should I have it out longer? Thanks!

GayeG Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 7

It does take awhile for it to go away - I usually set it out a bout 3 hrs b4 I need to deliver it - but with humidity like it is - it sometimes doesnt take quite that long - If you set a fan on low - set back a little ways from it - that helps speed it along - or you can use your hair dryer on low setting also - that works pretty good too ... and it shouldnt dry shiney - only matte - Ive NEVER not once had shiney
One FYI - DONT touch it while its sticky though!!! Just set it on table and walk away .. Dont ask me how I know!! icon_wink.gif
Good Luck!

forthwife Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 7

How do you dare deliver it without it being chilled? I'm such a chicken, I'd be afraid it would fall apart!! Also, what is your preferred icing? I'm thinking about trying somthing new. Although I like the cream cheese, butter and PS it's too soft to pipe.

GayeG Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:24am
post #7 of 7

Why would it fall apart??? If its constructed correctly and all your pieces are "glued" on - There's NO reason for it to fall apart! OMG - I would die if that happened!! icon_smile.gif Thank Heavens that has NEVER happened!

Im not a fan of all shortening BC's - I cant get past that greasy film it leaves in your mouth - I use a recipe off the King Arthur website - its so tasty, and so far so good as to holding up in the heat & humidity! (if you'd like it - you can PM me, Id be happy to share!) Pipes beautifuly and smooth's nicely too! Uses butter and shortening ..

I LOVE cream cheese icing too - but not during these brutal summers ... no way - it def. WOULD not be a pretty site!! If someone want CC BC - I tell them I'll use it for the fillings but not to cover the cake - I havent had a complaint so far icon_smile.gif

Good Luck!! And DONT be afraid to let your cake come to room temp!! Try it icon_smile.gif Just remember - dont mess with it till it dries icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%