If My 10-Yr-Old Understands, Why Don't The Customers?

Business By costumeczar Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 1:52pm by Sweetmaker

costumeczar Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 26

I got a call from a guy last Thursday, asking for a three-tiered wedding cake for Friday (yes, that would be the next day!) After I finished laughing I told my daughter about his request. She replied "I have one word for him...Walmart." icon_lol.gif

25 replies
Kpow Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 26

Hilarious! Your daughter in one smart cookie! icon_lol.gif

aligotmatt Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 26

She should take your phone calls!

mandysue Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 26

Who in their right mind would think that would be possible?

Weddings have been so dumbed down with checklists to be found online, in magazines, in bridal shops, and in books. How do you forget to order the wedding cake?

I would have been speechless.

Escaliba Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I got a call from a guy last Thursday, asking for a three-tiered wedding cake for Friday (yes, that would be the next day!) After I finished laughing I told my daughter about his request. She replied "I have one word for him...Walmart." icon_lol.gif

I really love it.
Exactly what my daughter would have said when she was that age.

FullHouse Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 26

Unbelievable, even a cake "muggle" should know better than that.

costumeczar Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 26

I just got another good one...A woman emailed and asked for a wedding cake for 80, then three extra cupcakes for 2 kids with food allergies and for one who's diabetic. Uh...She wants me to make three separate cupcakes with special ingredients? I'm assuming that the girls have different food allergies, but even if they didn't, how do you measure out how much batter to "whip up" for three cupcakes? icon_confused.gif

aligotmatt Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 26

I have had a similar request! "and we'd like 2 vegan cupcakes in addition for a vegan couple that is coming" uuhh... sure, but you're paying for it like you're buying 24...

__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

What sweet, sweet music to your ears, that musta been! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

peg818 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 26

the thing is our children are not cake muggles, they know what it takes for mom to whip out a cake. And have learned to appreciate it even if they never pick up a decorating bag they will no quality cause it is what has been instilled in them.

But i do love her comment icon_smile.gif

DebBTX Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:55pm
post #11 of 26

Out of the mouth of babes.

It sounds like you have a nice little helper in training.

-Debbie B.

jaybug Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 9:05pm
post #12 of 26

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I love your kid!

CakeForte Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 9:08pm
post #13 of 26

the walmart by my parents house stopped doing wedding cakes altogether!

Mensch Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:12am
post #14 of 26

You have trained her well.

1234me Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 11:52am
post #15 of 26

I doubt WalMart would even do it this late! People are stupid - and they think htey are your only customer!

marmalade1687 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:16pm
post #16 of 26

Our kids are definitely not cake muggles - we should be proud of all of them! icon_biggrin.gif

On that note, I have gotten my two hooked on Cake Boss - we sit and watch it together icon_biggrin.gif ! My son (bless his heart!) stated that in a competition, I could beat Buddy icon_rolleyes.gif ...I just thanked him for thinking so much of his mom!

niccicola Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:17pm
post #17 of 26

I had a businessman call me on his way to town from NC wanting a 4 tiered cake for some business meeting THE DAY BEFORE.

I said nope.

diane706 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:44am
post #18 of 26

Has anyone had a request for 2 tiers (10" and 8") that serves (((6))) people?? AAAHHHH!!!! They just don't get it!!! OH MY!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif (YES, all of these caps mean I'm Screaming!!!) Ha Ha! Life is good! Every day I get a good laugh! (AND CRY!)

Mensch Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:40am
post #19 of 26

Diane.... I get that all the time. So often, as a matter of fact, that I don't even blink an eye any more.

Just this week I'va had the following requests:

Lady writes and says she wants a lifelike 3-D tractor for 8 people

Yeasterday a guy comes in and wants a PAIR of Converse (3-D) for 8 people.

Lady says she promised her daughter a certain cake on my website (4-tier, 10-8-6-4), but she only needs it for 12 people. Has a temper tantrum when I tell her it's not possible. Has another temper tantrum when I tell her we're fully booked anyway (she wanted it in three days...). Screams at me, telling me that I ruined her daughter's birthday.

Guy comes in on Tuesday and wants to order a 3-D vintage car for 4 (yes, four) people.

costumeczar Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:34pm
post #20 of 26

I'd have no problem doing the cakes for only 4 people...But they'd still be paying my minimum of $150 for a 3-d cake! That's 4 BIIIIIG servings, but they can cut the cake any way they want!

Sweetmaker Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:21pm
post #21 of 26

There must be an extreme amount of ignorant people out there!!! How, and why would any customer expect a wedding cake in one day??? At my work at the grocery store we require 24 hour notice for sheet cakes. And 30 days notice for the tiered wedding cakes. At my particular store for us to make a wedding cake for the customer we have to order the cake from a special vendor, make sure all parts have come intact, make said cake then have the Boss of the grocery store deliver that cake. Some times the order is not intact and we have to have the vendor fix the order. The possibility of messing this up is just to great and it is such a hassle that we just don't do wedding cakes. Not to mention the fact that not all the decorators in the store are very good at it.

There are so many ignorant people out there when it comes to ordering cakes its just amazing.

your daughter is right on!

Kitagrl Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:10am
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

Our kids are definitely not cake muggles - we should be proud of all of them! icon_biggrin.gif

On that note, I have gotten my two hooked on - we sit and watch it together icon_biggrin.gif ! My son (bless his heart!) stated that in a competition, I could beat Buddy icon_rolleyes.gif ...I just thanked him for thinking so much of his mom!

Haha. We watched the Sesame Street Cake Challenge together (three of my four boys and I and my hub) and my 9 year old son informed me that he doesn't think I can make cakes like that.

Eh. Probably not. haha. Although what I wouldn't give to follow Mike M. around for a month...

miss-tiff Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:25am
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Screams at me, telling me that I ruined her daughter's birthday.

Oh, the public screamers. Yes, I'm sure it's you that will ruin her birthday. icon_rolleyes.gif Sigh. Good for you for standing up to her.

On our honeymoon at Disneyland, DH and I were in front of a Mom and her little girl on the Winnie-the-Pooh ride. The entire ride the Mom kept saying in this rude voice, "Aren't you having fun? LOOK at Pooh bear! LOOK!" and then started screaming at the little girl for not looking fast enough. Gee, why wasn't the little girl having fun? I know DH and I couldn't wait to get off that ride!

indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:33am
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmaker

How, and why would any customer expect a wedding cake in one day???

Because there are places that do it.

A bakery here in town advertises on their website you can order a wedding cake 24 hours before your event and they don't freeze their cakes. (This, btw, is the same bakery where my co-workers had to return my birthday cake because it was so frozen we couldn't cut it.)

I saw just today another bakery's marquee that said wedding cakes could be ordered the day before.

These are not grocery store bakeries. Real stand-alone bakeries.

hellie0h Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:35am
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmaker

A bakery here in town advertises on their website you can order a wedding cake 24 hours before your event and they don't freeze their cakes. (This, btw, is the same bakery where my co-workers had to return my birthday cake because it was so frozen we couldn't cut it.)

I saw just today another bakery's marquee that said wedding cakes could be ordered the day before.

These are not grocery store bakeries. Real stand-alone bakeries.

Agree with Debi here. We don't have any real bakeries in our town any more, we did when I was growing up. The bakers started their day at 3am and pumped out a multitude of baked goods and bread. I don't imagine a 24 hr. notice would have been out of the question.

The thing today is, instant gratification..people are so use to getting whatever they want fast and cheap for that matter. Even I have rolled my eyes at the window person at the drive thru when they tell me to pull up and my order will be brought out to me icon_rolleyes.gif lol, even an old granny is getting use to instant gratification.

Sweetmaker Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:52pm
post #26 of 26

indydebi wrote:
Sweetmaker wrote:

Wow, I didn't know this. I bet they aren't very "special" though. Quality takes time. I would think that for a wedding you would want something rather special, something that stands out. I guess that some people are in way too much of a hurry these days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%